Anonymous

Props and Pistons

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
reychris
Scuttle Shaker

Props and Pistons

Postby reychris » 28 Aug 2014 19:51

Went to East Kirkby on the bank holiday monday with some of the Club Triumph boys.
The Great British weather did its best to spoil it but it was still a good show. Unfortunately they had to cancel some warbird fly pasts but seeing Just Jane being fired up only feet away from the crowd line made up for it.
Some photos

Chris

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 29 Aug 2014 04:43

Haven't been in Lanc but when the Confederate Air Force had a B-17 Flying Fortress at BCIT hanger at Vancouver International Airport I went to see it (could go inside too). I was surprised how small it was (seemed much bigger in the movies), how thin the metal (aluminum) skin was (it wasn't going to stop anything from going through including your foot if you stepped off the metal narrow gangway. They also had a Henkel 111 Bomber which seemed like a toy next to the B-17. Plexiglass all around, totally exposed and toy looking pistol grip guns with round ammunition cartridges, not real guns like the B-17 had. I know it was really scary to go to war in those things but when you actually see what they were flying you have to multiply by ten.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 29 Aug 2014 05:09

Hi Chris,

Great pictures, thank for sharing. Is that a 'real' Metro 6R4 ? If so I take that one please [8D] We once had one in our showroom for a while, couldn't believe how hard it was to push around, lots of drag in the transmission. Also ' not a lot of people know ' that the engine was further developed, turbo charged and ended up in this I saw Wednesday evening -

If not the real thing then it would to be the Charger, a bit of a Mopar fan [}:)]

Cheers John

ImageImageImage Image
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!

1976 Speke FHC Beauty Now with an overdrive conversion

1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!

reychris
Scuttle Shaker

Postby reychris » 29 Aug 2014 08:37

Yes the Metro was the real thing but looked like it was one of the "road" cars as per the homologation rules

Forgot to mention [:I] but when I was sat next to my car a chap came up to say hello and told me that in the early 70's he was part of Jaguar's development team (emissions)and he was drafted in to help drive the nuts off the prototype LHD FHC TR8's to try and break them. Apparantly they had a team that drove them in shifts 24/7 both on the public roads and at MIRA. He said they didn't break!
As a parting shot he said he also drove the Lynx!

Its nice to see how much interest our cars are getting now [:)]

Chris

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 29 Aug 2014 09:44

What is the white Triumph looking like a special bodied TR4? Not seen one of those before.

Russ

1980 TR7 Sprint DHC, 1981 TR7 Sprint DHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image ImageImage

reychris
Scuttle Shaker

Postby reychris » 29 Aug 2014 11:31

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What is the white Triumph looking like a special bodied TR4? Not seen one of those before.Russ
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

No, that one was a new one to me as well. Turns out it is a TR4B prototype, very very rare to see something like that at a show.

gaz
TRemendous

Postby gaz » 29 Aug 2014 13:40

Some nice pics there Chris...

www.classiccarrunblackpool.co.uk

1981 DHC 2.0 Litre
1980 DHC pedal car
1982 DHC TR-ailer in the making

ImageImageImageImage

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 30 Aug 2014 05:36

Hi,

Before BMW moved it to Gaydon the Rover training college was in the middle of at the time huge Cowley plant at Oxford. I was on a course and all you could hear all morning was Tony Pond testing the then new Metro 6R4 up a loose gravel road and empty storage yard around the back of the college behind the railway line that ran through the plant.

At lunch time we were told we could either go and eat the ' slop' in the works canteen or go and have look up the motorsport HQ [:p] Guess what I chose! ??? Took a walk up there to find a compound full of all the homlogation cars sitting there waiting to be sold, all in white, both club and international spec, so every chance I saw that car then !! The mechanics we chatted to were busy fitting a old Mini indicator lenses to Mr Ponds car as he lost oil pressure during the morning, popped an engine because he didn't notice the oil light come on !! Chatted to Tony too and what gent, certainly beat sitting in the canteen for an hour [8D]

Cheers John

ImageImageImage Image
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!

1976 Speke FHC Beauty Now with an overdrive conversion

1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!

moestr7v8
Swagester

Postby moestr7v8 » 30 Aug 2014 18:32

Hi John
I worked at Cowley from '81 to'94 as a Toolmaker in S building press shop and when the 6R4 was discontinued all employees were offered the chance to purchase one at a greatly reduced price because they wanted them out off the way, and I don't think anyone, me included,took this offer up,what a mistake,but like most of us at the time I had young children it was not an option that SWMBO would agree to[V]

Cheers
Moe

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 30 Aug 2014 20:14

I have a December 1991 edition of Classic Cars magazine with an article on the white car (or one very similar, 6206 VC). It was registered on Jan 18 1963 (but had gone through a number of changes) and had a 6 cylinder Vanguard engine. The factory register listed it as 'Project Zest, LHD, 2 litre, styling studio, Italian'. It was naturally a Michelotti design and a forerunner of the TR4. It was rebuilt by TRBitz but with different tail lights to the owners choice. The article also has pictures of the Fury prototype with pop up headlights.

Interestingly, the magazine also has an article on the last Open Day at Canley with a complete line up of cars organised by the TR Drivers Club. In addition to the full TR series it had Lynx and Broadside coupes and a Broadside drophead with Stag type T-bar and O series engine, and the Stag fastback.

Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate
'81 TR7 DHC