Anonymous

Exhaust Wrap Question

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
busheytrader
TRemendous

Exhaust Wrap Question

Postby busheytrader » 27 Feb 2022 18:31

I’ve been clearing the shed of stuff that my son left behind after leaving home. Amongst it are some exhaust wrap and stainless steel ties that never made it on to his cars.

My V8 tubular manifolds are early 90’s vintage mild steel from S & S that came with their kit and are still going strong. I have read several articles that state you shouldn’t fit exhaust wrap at all, especially on mild steel exhaust manifolds as it’s the quickest way to ruin them with cracks and corrosion.

Has anyone amongst us or known to us experienced such a problem?

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, S/S Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear Axle, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes all round, Anti- Dive, Strut-Top Roller Bearings, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 14" 5 Spokes or Maestro Turbo 15" Alloys, Cruise Lights, S/S Heater Pipes, Replacement Fuel Tank. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1990 courtesy of S&S V8 conversion kit (built not bought) and big brake kit.

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Re: Exhaust Wrap Question

Postby Rich K » 27 Feb 2022 19:46

I ran my 2 litre for circa 5 years with exhaust wrap on a mild steel triumphtune tubular manifold without any apparent issues.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 28 Feb 2022 14:20

What about ceramic coating (done on exterior and/or interior? Here's a link to pros and cons of each. Does mention possible cracking of mild steel.

https://www.autoworks.com.au/blog/38-ce ... why-use-it
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 01 Mar 2022 15:57

FI Spyder wrote:What about ceramic coating (done on exterior and/or interior?

If they were off the car I might have thought about ceramic. However they’ve been in place for over 30 years so I’m happy for them to stay there. There’s not much room between the manifolds, chassis legs and steering column. The exhaust wrap came to mind since it could be fitted in situ.

Adam

trsforever
Rust Hunter

Postby trsforever » 05 Mar 2022 23:55

The last lot of Exhaust Wrap I used was over 20years ago and you had to soak it in water then wrap and tie it in place before it dried a really messy operation, not something to do in situ it was done with the exhausts on the bench (Maybe the stuff you have is different) but it did work well but can't remember weather the manifolds were mild steel or stainless.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 06 Mar 2022 07:43

The stainless extractor exhausts on the 4.6L Rover in the 8 was wrapped when we bought the car. It appeared to work OK, but the heat emanating from the engine bay was very high.

After about 8 years the wrap was getting a bit tatty, so we had the exhausts ceramic coated. I was not expecting any change to anything, so was amazed at the reduction in heat coming from the engine bay.

The difference was so great I would not ever consider wrapping an exhaust.

Hasbeen

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 06 Mar 2022 10:27

In the bad old days asbestos lagging was used to wrap exhausts, it worked better than the fiberglass stuff used now.
On the other hand it did a better job of giving you cancer too!
I'd not bother with wrap and go straight for the ceramic coating, or do what I did for the exhaust extractors on my ute, witch was make a heat shield outta proper heat shield material, the reason for this was as it's my work vehicle I couldn't afford to have it off the road whist waiting to get the extractors coated.

BTW, the red thing bolted to the fire wall is a cattle call, It makes a MOO! sound to call the cattle up for feeding, it is operated by a cable and lever, which can be used to vary the pitch in order to make realistic cattle vocalisations.
I use it as a horn......city people don't pay much attention to the usual beep beep but the noise of an angry bull gets their attention, works well on cyclists and inattentive pedestrians with their heads buried in their damned phone! :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 07 Mar 2022 20:57

Cattle caller :D