Anonymous

Triumph TR7 : The Untold Story - David Knowles

If it's in print - new or old - then feel free to promote or write a review ... also if you are wanting to buy or sell then this is the place.
Launie
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Launie » 15 Jan 2008 02:59

I've always understood that you can link to anywhere that is available for public consumption (not hidden or locked up).

Are there any more photos around? I'm interested in doing silly things to my '76 and changing the appearance in some tasteful, reasonably subtle way would be fun.

Launie
'76 TR7 FHC
'86 Renault Alliance (daily driver)
'77 Chev Silverado
'86 BMW 635CSi

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 15 Jan 2008 08:55

Fortunately the images on the DVD are significantly higher quality than those thumbnails. However, the copyright for them is wholly owned by BMIHT so I can't post them on here as I only purchased the rights to use them on the DVD.

mikehardwick
Wedge Pilot

Postby mikehardwick » 15 Jan 2008 15:44

Rich - as a matter of interest - no, the Montego was not the Acclaim. The Acclaim was a Triumph badged Honda - Ballade, IIRC.Whatever, it was reliable, economical and well built. Couldn't have been a B.L. product, could it![:D]

Mike

Rich in Vancouver
Swagester

Postby Rich in Vancouver » 15 Jan 2008 17:34

That's good Mike!
Kind of makes you wonder if the new Chinese MGs and Rovers and (maybe) Indian Jags will reach the same quality level of Japanese cars. It may just be me but I think that cars with British Marque badges should be made in British factories by blokes that look like Andy Capp, who pop out to the pub at lunch time for a pint or two of quality control!

Cheers,
Rich

1975 TR7 ACL764U

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 15 Jan 2008 21:58

Hi,
I agree with Rich, Rovers should be made in the UK i read in a paper the other day because Ford still own the name 'Rover' that the Chineses have to badge then as Roewe!
I worked on the Triumph Acclaim,in fact the first factory training course i ever done,and they had there problems,we had a recall on front anti roll bars that snapped and the cylinder head is never the best place to put an oil pump and as for Trimatic gearbox well what can i say,sorry to offend any Acclaim fans [:I] but on the good side we use to service a Avon turbo conversion and that thing flew [:D]
Cheers john.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC Soon to be a 4.6 fire breather!!

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 01 Jun 2016 12:59

By the mid 1970s the two popular sports cars produced by the new British Leyland were showing their age. What the company needed was a smart, modern sports car. The TR7, designed to replace both the MGB and the Triumph TR6, was the result. Its wedge-shaped design was modern enough but much of the rest of the car was, for some, disappointingly conventional and press reaction was not universally warm. Initially available as a two-seat coupe, the car went on sale in Britain in 1974. David Knowles unravels the history of the car's design and production, and the chaos that was caused by British Leyland's notorious strikes and labour problems. He also delves deep into the competition history of the car. Including the later TR7 drophead, and the V8-powered TR8, this book is the last word on the car that is probably more popular today than at any time since it ceased production in 1981.

Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: The Crowood Press UK (May 15, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1861268912
ISBN-13: 978-1861268914
Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 0.8 x 10 inches
Christopher

A respectable collection.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Triumph TR7 : The Untold Story - David Knowles

Postby FI Spyder » 01 Jun 2016 15:14

Got the book, good read. Each month at our club meeting I do a Merv's Mystery Car Of The Month were I give clues and they try and guess the car (British or British built like the Volvo P1800). Doing the research I found that the Acclaim was BL's most reliable car, based on their warranty records (which is basically a Honda but had enough British content including labour to meet the requirements of the day). Ironically the Sterling (based on the Acura Legend, also a Honda) was one of the worst.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT