Anonymous

1980 TR7 vacuum diagram needed

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 01 Jun 2009 18:11

What is the build date (month year) of your car (found on trailing door edge)? With this info someone may be able to give you info if they have one built at close to same time. The reason I ask that is I have a '80 registered car with 47K km. that was built in early '79 and had a 76 air pump and a combination of early and late vacuum lines and flame traps. (according to VB's diagrams.) All original.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

nick
TRiffic

Postby nick » 02 Jun 2009 01:26

After the carbs were rebuilt, did you tune them? Set the idle, balance them and set the mixture?

nick

Vegas_M
Swagester

Postby Vegas_M » 02 Jun 2009 16:19

We need a few more particulars...

Some cars came with vacumn adv, others with vacumn retard. Some have a vacumn actuated exhaust bypass valve, others don't.

So:
What year is the car?
Is the smog equipment still on?
Are you running Zenith or SU carbs?
Which distributor do you have?

M.

Vegas_M
Swagester

Postby Vegas_M » 02 Jun 2009 16:21

Oops. I see its a 1980.....
Other questions are still valid.
M.

Vegas_M
Swagester

Postby Vegas_M » 03 Jun 2009 04:31

OK, vacuum Lines

1. Dist to spiggot at underside rear of front carb

2. EGR valve to spiggot at topside rear of rear carb and possibly T'd to "high idle" vacuum switch on same carb.

3. Hot/Cold air flap to lower spiggot on rear of air cleaner case

4. Upper spiggot on rear of air cleaner case to brass fitting on top of intake manifold behind front carb.

5. 2nd spiggot on same brass fitting to air pump

6. Large hose from brass fitting at rear of intake manifold to brake booster

7. Same brass fitting to crankcase vent switch, mounted on pass side (USA) frame rail, then to bottom of plastic canister mounted just in front of switch.

8. Hose from rocker box to T junction to both carbs. 2nd T off front carb to top center of same plastic canister as in #7.

9. There are two smaller hoses from the top of same plastic canister. One goes back to the gas tank, the other to the metal tube mounted to the lower front of the carbs.

How's that?

M.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 03 Jun 2009 20:42

I do have pictures of specific areas I have taken before I dismantled my TCT (early 79 even though registered as a '80) but it may be different from yours so I don't know if it would do you any good (and possibly miss lead you.) If you post a picture of area you're not sure of I can see if mine is the same. Also by "vacuum lines" do you mean the thick ones or the thin ones or both?

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 04 Jun 2009 01:07

Gentle Men, is the obvious being missed here? This pilgrim seeks a vacuum line diagram for a 1980 U.S. Federal model TR7. Can we not recommend he obtain and view such publications as the TRF parts catalog? Or, his own factory workshop manual. How about a Victoria British catalog?

If all is connected correctly, then the idle problem will be found with the carburetor settings. As indicated the carburetors were rebuilt, that may well be the direction he needs to follow. If so, perhaps a search of this forum will provide the article on carburetion adjusting.

A side note: I recall when these cars were new. Most of them wound up in back yards or on the back rows of seedy used car lots solely because some untrained mechanic or the owner fiddled with the carburetors and were unable to go back to the correct settings. Here in the U.S.A., nearly 100% of all garages had no experience with the Z-S carburetor, either singularly or in multiples. Even authorized dealers for Jaguar, MG, Triumph, and any other make using the Z-S units were not all that capable in understanding or being able to set up and balance these carburetors. So it came to pass, the classified ads in the newspapers always read, 'TR7 for sale, needs carburetor work'. This is why our cars came to have such low used car values, they were unintentionaly sabotaged by people trying to fix most likely an unrelated problem. Remember, 90% of all carburetion problems will be found in the ignition system. So it went, due to ignorance on the part of shop mechanics and do-it- yourself owners our cars achieved the undeserved stigma as one of the most unreliable cars of the 1970's.

Mildred Hargis

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 04 Jun 2009 18:25

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mildred</i>

Gentle Men, is the obvious being missed here? This pilgrim seeks a vacuum line diagram for a 1980 U.S. Federal model TR7. Can we not recommend he obtain and view such publications as the TRF parts catalog? Or, his own factory workshop manual. How about a Victoria British catalog?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

One would think so but our cars being what they are.... not all cars follow these diagrams and they can only be used as a "rule of thumb". My TCT is one of those. It has a combination of these diagrams. (mix and match). The car only has 30,000 miles owned by previous owner and his mother-in-law. It has not been modified and is dead stock.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 04 Jun 2009 18:26

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mildred</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

One would think so but our cars being what they are.... not all cars follow these diagrams and they can only be used as a "rule of thumb". My TCT is one of those. It has a combination of these diagrams. (mix and match). The car only has 30,000 miles owned by previous owner and his mother-in-law. It has not been modified and is dead stock.