Anonymous

Brake fluid for Triumph TR7

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 19 Apr 2008 20:09

I hate bloomin'brake drum set ups.Blumin'springs and shoes and clips! Plumbed it all in after that - thanx to a tutorial on the rear brakes,reminding me where all the springs fit etc.cheers mate!

Any way,bloomin'brake fluid spilt on my nice shiney painted axle and promptly stripped the Hammerite off.Did i tell ya'i hate bloomin brakes?!Will bleed system tommorrow after i refit the handbrake cable

Question - whats the best way to go around brakes to bleed all the air? Which wheel first, second, third and fourth? I usually start at the front driver side,to passenger,then wheel behind that,completing the circle at rear wheel behind driver.Is there a better method?

Please enlighten me...

See ya. Paul

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 19 Apr 2008 21:56

Always start with the front brake furthest removed from the master cylinder, then other front brake.

After that the rear brakes, only one bleed nipple on a TR7 rear axle.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Brake Bleeding & fluid for Triumph TR7

Postby Hasbeen » 20 Apr 2008 05:55

Paul, don't be too upset if your new brakes don't come up really solid on the first bleed. I have never got a 7s brakes right at the first bleed. They always need a good 5 or 10 miles on them, & a re-bleed to get them right.

The strange thing is that the 8 is the same. Considering that it has a Volvo master, 4 pot Volvo front calipers, & Nissan rear discs & calipers, I can't see why it would behave the same way as the 7. The only original Triumph bit left is the distribution valve, so it must be it that causes all the bleeding problems. [Note; I said bleeding, not bloody problems].

Hasbeen

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 20 Apr 2008 06:03

Brake clips? Easy peasy for old clips. Took a few tries with a new clip which is much tighter. (only had one with the set.)

Hammerite? Should have used POR-15 like above. I'm sure it's more fluid resistant as it's like a plastic. (Haven't actually tested it yet but plan on it.

The trick for spring replacement is to do one at a time so you have one to refer to (albeit mirror image).

I was always taught brake farthest from master brake cylinder (diagonal rear, same side rear, opposite front, near front) of course with TR7 you only have one rear (they're so efficient[:o)])

How did you manage to get fluid on your axle anyway?

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 20 Apr 2008 07:40

Paul,

I've been bleeding the brakes using the "furthest from the m/cylinder method" for years and I still can't remember why. It must have been in a magasine when I was a teenager.

About 10 years ago after loads of problems, I bought one of those Gunson things which has a reservoir full of fresh brake fluid, pressurised from a partially depleted spare tyre. Potentially a bit messy if I'm not careful but it works very well as it purges the system. I've never had problems bleeding brakes since.

We had an old Mini which was a pig to bleed with the usual brake pedal pumping. This Gunson thing flushed out the trapped air bubbles in seconds leaving the best brakes the Mini had ever had.

Cheers,

Adam

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, 214 Cam, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear, 200lb Spax & Solid Bushes, Anti- Dive, Granada Vented Discs & Calipers, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AllyCat 5 Spokes. No Door Stickers.

richards
Rust Hunter

Postby richards » 20 Apr 2008 08:35

Its also worth noting that dot 5.1 fluid (fully synthetic) will not damage paint and gives a better pedal, I have actualy got quite a good pedal on my 7 with a stock master cylinder and braided hoses using 5.1 fluid.

Get a lifestyle
Get a TR7!

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 20 Apr 2008 09:11

Used silicon brake fluid but always found the pedal feel spongy.

Flushed the system and put good quality DOT4 in and the problemns were solved. And I always bleed the brakes the tradinional way, so two man team and making sure th eair can't trap itself anywhere.

paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 20 Apr 2008 10:51

Thanx for the input guys.Gonna enlist the missus help to depress the pedal while i bleed brakes.FI,the leak happened where the flexi pipe joins the copper,above axle.It was only a drip, drip, drip. But by the time i saw it,it'd run down the side of diff!Not to worry,i gotta
touch in some jack marks when its done too!

See ya. Paul

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 20 Apr 2008 10:59

FWIW We only used to start at the far side back and work round the nearest front when vehicles were fitted with single circuit brakes. Since the advent of dual circuit brakes, bleeding can be done from either front or back first depending on how the split is made. With the TR7 having separate front and rear circuits, it should not make any difference which circuit you bleed first but as Beans says, you should do the front wheel farthest from the master cylinder before the other front.

Paul, if you only got air in the rear circuit, you may well only need to bleed the rears (one bleed valve only). When I found my rear flexi was leaking, it got replaced and bled the back circuit, all was well.

Just my tuppence worth.

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

Howard722
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard722 » 20 Apr 2008 12:30

I`ve always had 100% joy with an Easi-bleed brake kit (esp. if single handed). You are always in the right place to watch things and no pumping required . Start with the furthest cylinder and work towards the m/cyl. on the basis next longest etc. The only thing you need to be sure of is the seal to the resevoir and DON`T use a tyre pressure over 20psi.- keep resevoir nicely wrapped in an old towel just in case and for when you de-couple/release pressure first!!!!

Enjoy& regards

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 20 Apr 2008 18:31

And don't forget to remove the brake warning light switch from the master cylinder before you start bleeding.

Otherwise you'll have to do it afterwards to reset it, if it's not damaged.

flynns tr 7
Rust Hunter

Postby flynns tr 7 » 20 Apr 2008 22:19

To refit the nasty wheel cylindr clip instead of using pliers,remove bleed nipple place clip on top of protuding wheel cylinder (make sure you have the clip right way round,most people go for the easy option but this does not hold the wheel cylinder tight).Use a socket that has an internal diameter slighty large than the wheel cylinderand tap socket with hammer till clip is securly located. This method is a lot easy if you have the backplate removed.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 20 Apr 2008 22:33

I think I see what your trying to say. As you bang it on the camphered edge spreads the clip until it slips in the groove? Which is the right way for the clip. Both clips on mine where concave, centre part closest to wheel cylinder, top and bottom (the open end) away from the wheel cylinder, so thats the way I put them back.

flynns tr 7
Rust Hunter

Postby flynns tr 7 » 20 Apr 2008 22:39

Most people put them on with the concave part of the c clip facing inwards becuase this is the easyest way to fit them although incorrect.Most likely a previous owner or garage fitted them the wrong way round.

marknotgeorge
Rust Hunter

Postby marknotgeorge » 22 Apr 2008 15:47

Another thing. If you're a ham-fisted fool like me, and bend the clips, they're a fraction of the price from your local motor factors.

Mark, Derby, UK.
'80 DHC Sprint - '95 Vauxhall Astra - '00 Vauxhall Zafira