Anonymous

TR7 Sills/Trailing Arms/Head Gasket

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 30 Jul 2008 12:59

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the sills from inside the car if you can, by lifting the carpet. If the inner sills are rusty you will see this easily. Outside the car look at the underneath of the sill (there should be some drain holes you can shine a torch into), & the joint with the bottom of the rear wheel arch - this is prone to rust out where the bottom of the rear wing meets the sill. At the front of the sill it kind of tucks in behind the bottom edge of the front wing so look for signs of repair or welding there.

If you can lift the carpet then you can check the trailing arms - it's not usually the arms that crack, it is the locating points on the chassis at the rear of the floor. Look behind the seats & see if the floor is sound. If there is rust damage or cracks then the trailing arms mounts may be in need of repair. Have a look from underneath as well of course.

And while you have the carpet up look at the front floors too. Any rust should be obvious.

In the engine bay check the turrets & inner wings. Check the seam where the inner wing joins the bulkhead/firewall. In the boot look at the spare wheel well, & the inner arches.

Apart from obvious oil leaks in the engine bay, check the coolant in the header tank/expansion bottle for signs of oil mixed in with the coolant. Can you get a test drive? Best way to check for overheating problems is to drive the car a good distance (20 miles?) & watch the temp gauge - the needle should sit between 1/3 & 1/2. If it goes over half way then could be problems with water pump or head gasket - or both!).

Let us know how you get on[:)]

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red</font id="size1">

zekow1
Swagester

Postby zekow1 » 30 Jul 2008 13:36

Welcome
I am a new owner to.
I recently purchsed a 1981 tr7 .
The only rust I found on mine is below the clutch where the arch of the wheel meets the bulkhead.
ANd very superficially around the drain round caps in the floor pan.

Drive it ,if possible, and if you can lift it up and see it from underneath it would help lots .
Good luck, keep us informed

Tony, this one is for you.
Mine always runs around 3/4
there is no oil mixed with the coolant.
no oil leaks
the fans work great
no loss of power,that i can detect
and the heads and all aound seals look really good
I have driven the car about 150 miles ,as of now.
What do you think????
Have fun
Be safe
Zeke

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

gaz
TRemendous

Postby gaz » 30 Jul 2008 14:55

when checking for the head gasket probs,
obviously look under the header tank cap (water expansion bottle) for oil and look on the surface of water in there is there an oil slick or if it smells oily?

and the oil filler cap (rocker cover) is there a mayonaise sludge this one dosent always meen head gasket failure on its own maybee poorly maitained!
on these two though make sure the underside of the caps arnt spotless they may have been wiped just before veiwing

and i was told if it the head gasket has failed then the sludge will be all the way up the dipstick not just at the bottom.........which is all well and good if the dipstick tube hasn't errodied away as mine had (most original ones have so im led to belhive) so there was there was no way that any sludge could have traveled up the tube

but if your not sure your best bet is take someone with you who knows what there looking for...

It rides again

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 30 Jul 2008 16:20

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zekow1</i>

Tony, this one is for you.
no oil leaks
the fans work great
What do you think????<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well if you have driven 150 miles without any overheating problems, & the car isn't using any coolant, then I should think the engine is OK but you may have a dodgy temp sender or gauge. You could check the electrical connections from the sender. If the car runs OK then I wouldn't worry.

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red</font id="size1">

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 30 Jul 2008 17:31

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zekow1</i>

no oil leaks
the fans work great

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Also make sure the rad is clean inside, a corroded rad can't transfer the heat.

Secondly check to make sure you have the correct thermostat with the extension that shuts off the bypass. Most thermostats that have been replaced don't have this resulting on only a portion of the water being directed to the rad when open resulting in higher operating temperatures.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

zekow1
Swagester

Postby zekow1 » 30 Jul 2008 18:09

juhagurney
And don't forget the normal things you look for when you buy an old car.
Squat behing it ,by a far ,and make sure the tires lineup
the same with the front.
jump on it, on the rear ,on each side ,and see it how it bounces back the faster the better.
the same with the front.
slam the doors ,ones or twice, hard ,see if anything falls off,
or rattles.
And most important of all, ask questions ,lots of them .
If the guy or Gal is truu ,they will answer .
If he is a pr-ck or a B then he will avoid answering
and that will also give you an answer
allways bargain ,make the offer much lower than you are willing to pay, and that he asks , that will lower his expectatives and then.
let it rise as you go along .
Don't insult him thought ,unless he is a Pr-ck or a B then sock it to him or Her
You probably already know all of this, but it good to be reminded.
Have fun
Bes safe
Zeke

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 30 Jul 2008 18:20

The cracks from the trailing arm mounting points are best seen from below - be very aware of any 'new' underseal in this area. They are not too difficult to repair - if not too far gone that is. While under there - inspect the petrol tank. If it hasn't been replaced - then it will be needing replacing - they rot from inside and become paper thin - weeping fuel through many tiny pin-holes. Again - be aware of any new 'paint' or 'sealer' on the tank base!

ImageImage

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 31 Jul 2008 01:53

Talk about a dichotomy. I've never seen an engine bay that clean yet door skins and rear top panel so rusty. If they went to all that trouble why not reskin (or replace) the doors and put in new panel. Although initially seems to be a nice piece of eye candy those panels mean you can't assume anything about this car.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 31 Jul 2008 04:41

I would not be quite as hard as FI Spyder. If the bloke has sent you
those pics, it looks as if he is showing you a "warts & all" view.

Having said that, the front suspension towers look to be in
excellent condition, but may be a different colour. Have they just
been replaced?

4 hours would be about Maryborough/Bundy area. Its a nice weekend
trip. Go have a look, & go whale watching, or for a trip to Fraser
Island while you're up there. You can have a weekend holiday, so
it's still worthwhile, even if the car isn't.

Bring back a few bottles of Bundy rum, so you can drown your
sorrows, if the car is a dog.

Hasbeen

PS. we have a contributor from Hervey Bay, who may be prepared to
have a look at it for you, to give you a rough idea.

H

sunnie
Scuttle Shaker

Postby sunnie » 31 Jul 2008 08:32

Hi juhagurney

I am also in Brisbane and wondered where the car is.
I originally come from Bundaberg so i may even know the owner. (Dark and Stormy Yummy just love it)
I met a bloke in Bberg who had a tr7 so i wonder if it is the same one but cannot remember the colour, was a few years ago. You can call me Al Zimer!
I also know a few tradeies in bberg in the car game and could source out some more info.
It is a small town when it comes to TR7s.
But the group here has given you some sound advice.
Love to know more
Sunnie
Brisbane
77 DHC Tahitian Blue

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 31 Jul 2008 10:58

Oh dear - it's a Fixed Head car - is that what you really want ?

ImageImage