Anonymous

Timing chain,

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
nuttynotty
Wedgling

Timing chain,

Postby nuttynotty » 16 Apr 2008 20:08

Quick question, and this follows on from a previous discussion where I was having a uneven tick over, after checking all the obvious i.e intake leaks, carbs etc… I found that I was 15Lb lower in Cylinder 1 as I was the other 3. this in turn turned out that both the inlet and exhaust valves were not closing correctly, I could not even get a 1tho gauge under the cam shaft. After removing the cam shaft ( keeping tension on the chain so as the adjuster does not pop out. Well that was a waste of time) I found that both tappets ( valves) were over shimmed by 50 tho. Any how, after the timing chain tensioner popped out [:(!]%%$^ [:(!], I though I would replace the chain. Installed the new chain blarr blarr blarr, only to find that the tensioner is in its lowest limit (all the way in), there is a small amount of give in the chain i.e. 3/8â€￾ being that this is a new chain, it should stretch right ?? one tooth on the gears leave the chain to lose so I know the chain is correct plus its just a little shorter than the old one by about ½â€￾ a link. Any thoughts before I hasve to replace all the valves due to a broken chain [:o)]