Anonymous

Rear break part removal

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Rear break part removal

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 01 Jan 2008 20:52

<b><font color="green">I need to swap over the rear break parts from my old axel that is currently in the garage and put it all back on to the new axel that is currently on my car at the moment.
I was wondering if it is a tricky, nasty or (hopefully) an easy job to do?
Cheers, Phil</b></font id="green">

Dave Dyer
Swagester

Postby Dave Dyer » 01 Jan 2008 21:31

Hi Phil,

It's a straight foward job, just remove each bit and refit on the new axle in the same place. The hydraulic cylinder is held in place by a 'clip' that might be a bit ackward, plus there are 3 srings that will need stretching back in to position, pliers and screwdriver might help, but this is probably the worst bit, there are tools out there to make the job easier.
Thats it really, its well within a DIY TR sort of person!

Dave

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 01 Jan 2008 22:10

Hi Phil,
Completely agree with Dave,any doubt about servicabilty of any brake compoments then i would replace or refurbish as nec.Safer and a lot easier with axle out.Do one side at a time then you dont end up with,the nightmare of 'where did that spring go'.Jclay wrote a excellent step by step guide for this that either he or someone more PC clever than me can put a link here!
Cheers and Good Luck.
John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC Soon to be a 4.6 fire breather!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

Urchin
Wedge Pilot

Postby Urchin » 01 Jan 2008 22:44

As might have seen in an earlier post of mine, the rear brakes are the real "arse end" of the car. What I found was that the US-based suppliers could not provide me with that C-clip that holds the cylinder to the backing plate, or the little star clips that hold the locating springs and pins together.

The adjuster kit pieces did not come with my "complete rear brake kit" either, so make certain you replace them and their springs. They are hidden on the backside of one shoe, so don't throw away the old shoes without checking for them.

Now I should explain I have an '80 Spider with the 5 speed. The brakes might be different on an early Speke 4 speed.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
P.O. Box 90
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
USA
'80 TR-7 Spider
'66 Land Rover Series II-A [2]
'66 Corvair Monza

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 01 Jan 2008 23:00

Hi Phil,
Hope this link works it really is a brilliant peice of work by our very own Jclay, hope you dont mind me posting this link [8)]
http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/iWeb/S ... rakes.html
It cover about everything apart what corner of the garage your 'c' clips disappear!!
Cheers John.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 02 Jan 2008 01:28

Hello, All,

No, I am not offended. My website is there for all to use. I started just sharing what I was doing, then I tried to make it a little better in the hopes of helping others tackle jobs that they would not normally do themselves.

I have been a little remiss, OK, allot remiss, in keeping the site updated. My health has kept me from doing a lot of the things I love, this year.

I have tried to find another TR7 at a reasonable price, so I could do some of the other necessary updates that all of our cars need. I had hoped to help guitarmonkey fix his mother's car and at the same time add to the knowledge on the site, but I have not heard from him in quite a while.

The hole in my right foot has healed, but I have broken my left foot and it appears that I will have to wear a brace for the rest of my life. Makes it hard to chase the baby's mother, but every once in a while, she slows down!

I hope that each and everyone of you have a great New Year. It seems that I have become attached to this group of TR enthusiasts, kinds like a family where you get to choose to belong.

Rich in Vancouver
Swagester

Postby Rich in Vancouver » 02 Jan 2008 02:53

Thanks for the good wishes Jclay. I hope that your lot also improves this year.
As for the rear axle, changing the bits over is easy enough. It's the unexpected jobs that come up that throw a screw into the works, so be prepared.
When I did the rear brakes on my new (to me) TR7 I found that the brake lines needed replacing along with the wheel cylinders, and a broken brake spring. Luckily my hub seals were OK so no extra work was required there.

Have fun!
Richard

1975 TR7 ACL764U

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 02 Jan 2008 08:12

<b><font color="green">Guys cheer for this it is a great help and as usual you never fail to help. It is good to hear that this job hopefully, will not be too bad as the weather guys say there is a cold snap on its way and I will have to be working outside. Oh how much do I love my girl these days lol.
I would also like to wish everyone here a happy new year and happy TR driving.</b></font id="green">

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 02 Jan 2008 19:20

I wouldn't start any outside work at the moment! Best also to take digital pictures of each stage of the strip down - to help you do the rebuild. And you should at least plan to put new seals in the rear cylinders. The Mini lads have a special tool to help fit that C clip to the cylinder - but I have always managed to fit it with a couple of screwdrivers.

ImageImage

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 02 Jan 2008 22:07

Hi,
Thanks for the thumbs up Jclay,really is a excellent site and would rec everyone to have a look you will learn something for sure.Wishing you a speedy recovery with your foot not to mention a very Happy New Year [:D]
I think this is the tool Bmcecosse mentioned [?]
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/Searc ... atalogID=0
For twenty odd pounds you can buy a lot of spare 'C' clips [;)] i too prefer the 2 screw driver approach
Cheers john

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 03 Jan 2008 11:33

<b><font color="green">Cheers guys, I think this job will be within the abilities of me and my friend.
bmcecosse - I wish I could leave the job until the weather gets better, but if it is not done now the other jobs will just keep on building up and up.</b></font id="green">

marknotgeorge
Rust Hunter

Postby marknotgeorge » 04 Jan 2008 13:08

I found that the clip that holds the wheel cylinder to the back of the drum was a bit of a ballache. I bent the one that came with the replacement wheel cylinder. I found that replacements from the Usual Suspects were in the order of a couple of pounds each. So I went to a local motor spares place, where they were 10p each.

Mark, Derby, UK.
'80 DHC Sprint
'00 Vauxhall Zafira
http://www.eggsandantlers.co.uk

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 06 Jan 2008 20:14

<font color="green"><b>Changed them over today with the frost on the floor and it was a bit of a pain, but on the whole went OK. The clips went on all OK with the help of the pliers. Only thing was that the drivers side pipe going into the cylinder is a little chewed up at the end so need to get a new one.</b></font id="green">

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 06 Jan 2008 22:05

Be aware these brake pipes are m10 x 1 thread ! Identical looking Mini etc rear wheel cylinders are 3/8" UNF thread.

ImageImage