Anonymous

Cold or what?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Cold or what?

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 17 Dec 2007 20:54

<b><font color="green">Hi guys,
Thought I would see if anyone else is having the same issue as it looks like I have not that it is cold. I started my girl up tonight after a few days of the road and she started a bit slow (not the issue). I had the chock out to let her warm up and then after I started to push it in slowly. After a bit she cut out?!?! Some what of a shock to me as she has not done that for a long time. When I tried to start her again it we a little rough and with my foot down on the gass it was lumpy to say the least.
The question here is did I hear right that the TR7's need to have a different set up for the summer and the winter? Could this explain the lumpy feeling when I had the choke out a little and my foot on the peddle now and then? As she was warm enough, the temp dial reading just below half way.</b></font id="green">

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 17 Dec 2007 21:20

Hi,
SU carbs are prone to 'icing' up in this weather.Worth checking the condition of the hot air pick up pipe of the exhaust manifold to the air filter box and the valve that control this is operating ok.If you have K&N or such like then may be worth putting the original set up back on for a week or two.
Watched the news tonight,seen how bad our US freinds have got it,now thats what i call snow!!
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC Soon to be a 4.6 fire breather!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 17 Dec 2007 21:21

At this time of year it is easy to get damp on the HT leads and in the dizzy cap causing tracking and missing if the car is left outside unused for a period. Try spraying WD40 in the cap etc.

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1
'81 TR7 DHC

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 17 Dec 2007 22:02

<b><font color="green">Thanks for this I sure will have a spray with the wd40 and check the SU's. Must admit that I have not got the bonnet on at the moment as I m doing the rust on it, so that may not of helped, lol too much air getting in and all that.
Sure is looking cold over in the US, but at the same time nice with it coming up to Christmas day. We can only hope that we have a white one in the UK[:D]</b></font id="green">

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 17 Dec 2007 23:13

We have had the problem of water condensing in the fuel tank and then freezing in the fuel lines on the first hard freeze causing a fuel flow problem. I have always put Dry-Gas (an alcohol additive) in the tank at the first freeze warning to mix with the water and burn it out.

Now, our fuel has about 10% alcohol in it. Maybe that will help!

mikehardwick
Wedge Pilot

Postby mikehardwick » 18 Dec 2007 08:36

Sure is looking cold over in the US, but at the same time nice with it coming up to Christmas day. We can only hope that we have a white one in the UK[:D]

Phil - speak for yourself, mate! Snow means grit and salt on the roads, so no TR driving!

Going back to the original subject, I'm having similar problems with my V8 - lumpy cold running, stalling at junctions etc, and it doesn't stop until the engine has a fair bit of heat in it, and I switch off for 5 minutes or so. Upon startup, everything is fine!
I've got a Holley 390 with big K+N air filter, odds on it's carb icing, though I've not heard of it with a Holley before.

Any ideas appreciated>

Mike

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 18 Dec 2007 20:31

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SU carbs are prone to 'icing' up in this weather.Worth checking the condition of the hot air pick up pipe of the exhaust manifold to the air filter box and the valve that control this is operating ok.If you have K&N or such like then may be worth putting the original set up back on for a week or two.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I agree. My old TR716V never had any problem in the winter as the hot air pipe always worked. If it doesn't, you can always clamp the airflap over in the winter position - remember to release it in warmer weather.

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 18 Dec 2007 21:15

Most probable culprit will be the fuel mixture being a little to lean (needles).
Both my TR7's run on K&N filters and they are used all year round without a problem. And yes, they were set up on a rolling road ...

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)
1981 TR7 DHC (not very well known yet, but back on the road)
Also a 1980 TR7 DHC, 1980 TR7 DHC FI, 1981 TR7 FHC
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/</i></font id="blue"></center>