Anonymous

Replacing TR7 Top

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
dclarke
Wedgling

Replacing TR7 Top

Postby dclarke » 07 Dec 2007 19:52

The time has come to put a new roof on my 1980 Spider.
Many types are available through Moss, Victoria, ebay, etc. with the prices for a new Robbins top running from $630.00 at Moss or $329.00 on ebay through Harolds Triumph/MG parts.
PLease respond with recommendations pertaining to what type, at what price and from whom I should buy one from.
I'm set on quality versus price.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 07 Dec 2007 23:02

I think that you also need to consider ease of care and longevity.

Interesting reading:

http://www.worlduph.com/faqtops.htm
http://www.worlduph.com/tops.htm

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

Underdog
Wedgista

Postby Underdog » 08 Dec 2007 11:00

Mine came from Prestige many years ago. I had it fitted by an upholsterer and it seems to look & fit ok. Probably similar to the original. The carpet set I got from them faded in a few years though.

72 MGB BRG
80 TR8 Persian Aqua
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

dclarke
Wedgling

Postby dclarke » 09 Dec 2007 16:39

Gentlemen, with all of the knowledge contained by those browsing this site, can one or more of you please respond with some suggestions to my original questions.
Your responses are greatly appreciated.

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 13 Dec 2007 18:46

I bought a new-old stock 'genuine' hood on ebay. Still to fit it - but I intend to use Velcro on the rear quarters rather than the dreadful 'poppers'.

ImageImage

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 14 Dec 2007 19:47

To your origional question, I have heard horror stories about fitment of the Robbins. I personally have never used one, so no direct experiance.

I have had great luck with the "cheapo" tops from ebay, Vicky Brit etc. I have fitted several of these and they seem to work fine. They fit well and keep the rain out as best as you can expect on a 27 year old British convertible. I am probably going to remove the whole top and frame and get a touneau(sp) to keep the cockpit dry if it rains while I am out driving. Mine sits in the garage most of the time along side my Z28 with t-tops that never go in. My buddies are convinced I dont even have the tops anymore for the Z. It sits in the garage a lot too. Company vehicles are wonderful. I tell them tops are for sissys

As far as why you havent gotten many replies, You may want to say something like, "advice needed for new top choice" for a title to your post. I think a lot of people think you are looking for help installing yours instead of picking a new one.

John Peacock
It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory.
80 TR7, Brooklands Green, on its way to big power
98 Z28 LS1, marking its territory in many ways

Urchin
Wedge Pilot

Postby Urchin » 18 Dec 2007 16:55

Just noticed your request for advice on tops. In 2003, not long after I bought my Spider, the entire rear window zipper fell apart so that I had to get a new top [same $ as removing and sewing up the old one].

I took it to Leyland Foreign Auto in Kennebunkport, ME. Erick Van Sickle has done more successful work on British cars in Maine that most shops have done anywhere. We agreed on the Robbins top through Victoria British.

Erick installed it in 2 hours or so on a warmish day. Here's what we noted: the amount of fabric at the critical snap points just behind each door was barely enough to allow him to install the new snaps. The rest of the fit looked great at the time of installation. And second, it has a different surface appearance.

The latter is minor, However, as I drove the car more I noticed that the cut of the top around the back of the windows was different than the original top and that a pocket of air was always blowing into my left ear unless the blower motor is on a low speed. As I drove the car in increasingly cold weather, it proved increasingly annoying. I used to marvel at the original top which sealed so well around all the window edges.

Then I remembered that in the very early '90's, Erick had also installed a top on my '78 Spitfire. We used a Robbins top, too, and it did the same thing! Since I had a factory hardtop for that car, it was particularly disappointing.

The tops seem to last well enough and the fabric resists shrinkage, but the cuts are a hair off. What I can't tell you is whether another company's top would be cut the same way.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
P.O. Box 90
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
USA
'80 TR-7 Spider
'66 Land Rover Series II-A [2]
'66 Corvair Monza

sst
Swagester

Postby sst » 18 Dec 2007 17:57

I got a top for my '80 Spider from Vickie Brit about 6 years ago.. It was around $329 or so.. Had it installed locally.. Top fits perfectly and have had no issues with it at all.. No complaints from me on the top's quality, fit, or installation..

After looking at the VB catolog, I believe it was a Robbins top that now runs around $429.. The Coventry top looks better, tho, but a little high for me, price-wise..

Son of a .... THATS gonna leave a mark!