Anonymous

Oil pressure.

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
mak
Wedge Pilot

Oil pressure.

Postby mak » 30 Nov 2007 18:11

I've got an minor leak from the seal on the spin on oil filter, which is from too high an oil pressure when the engine is cold (100psi....it settles down to a healthy 50 when warm though).

The engine had a saab uprated oil pump fitted some time ago and I was thinking that changing the oil pressure relief spring would help. Am I heading in completely the wrong direction - should I just bite the bullet and swop the whole pump assembly or will this work?

(i've already had new o rings fitted to the spin on oil filter adapter, the leak comes from the gasket on the filter and i've checked everything is properly fitted properly.)

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 30 Nov 2007 22:09

Hi,
Certainly in the right direction with the spring, thats what ultimatley govens oil pressure 100 psi is a lot of oil pressure!I would also make sure the valve itself is free to move.
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC Soon to be a 4.6 fire breather!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

mak
Wedge Pilot

Postby mak » 01 Dec 2007 13:29

Thanks, I'll change the o rings on the oil pump as well just in case. I have a leak from the speedo drive on the gearbox to sort too, so lots to keep me busy!