Anonymous

Windshield Replacement

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
JSutton1
Scuttle Shaker

Windshield Replacement

Postby JSutton1 » 23 Nov 2007 12:27

I have to re install my wndshield and trim and I wondered if anyone on this group has completed this recently.

What did sealant did you use and how did it turn out? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks,

Jim

My TR7 photos

www.aspmingo.myphotoalbum.com

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 23 Nov 2007 13:06

http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/topic.a ... windscreen

<font color="green"><b>or</b></font id="green">

<font color="green"><b>or</b></font id="green">

<font color="green"><b>many more try the search at the top right hand side of the page...[;)]</b></font id="green">

Image Image Image

<font size="4"><font color="green"><i>If it's not broke don't fix it.</i></font id="green"></font id="size4">

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 23 Nov 2007 13:16

Hi Jim

I have just gone through the slideshow on your website and had to say, what an absolutely brilliant job of the rebuild. The picture diary speaks a thousand words and yours deserves the highest praise. Superb example of the mark.

Regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

john
TRiffic

Postby john » 23 Nov 2007 13:30

Yep have to agree can't help you with the windscren issue but top marks on your rebuild

Very impressive

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 23 Nov 2007 13:34

<font color="green"><b>Gary thanks for pointing that link out ...[;)]

I follow john's words very impressive rebuild..[:p]</b></font id="green">

Image Image Image

<font size="4"><font color="green"><i>If it's not broke don't fix it.</i></font id="green"></font id="size4">

JSutton1
Scuttle Shaker

Postby JSutton1 » 24 Nov 2007 12:00

Thanks! Been working on this car for two years. Its been a blast. Hope to start it for the first time soon.

Jim

JSutton1
Scuttle Shaker

Postby JSutton1 » 27 Nov 2007 22:46

I have found that the tube of Urethane have different viscosity. If you replaced a winshield with the 3M urethane which did you use? Also did you use the glass primer?

Jim

Underdog
Wedgista

Postby Underdog » 30 Nov 2007 12:27

I had my glass guy do mine. He urethaned it in along with the mouldings. He usually charges me about 50 bucks to do one, in & out. I don't mess with w/shields anymore after I cracked one & had to eat it. For what the pros charge, I don't find it worth while to buy the material and assume the risk.

72 MGB BRG
80 TR8 Persian Aqua
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 30 Nov 2007 13:57

I am another car freak who leaves windshield work to the professionals! That is the best $50-$100 you will EVER spend!

Leon
'94 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo 613whp <powered by Mitsu 4G63T
'80 TR7 Spyder GS-T <undergoing Mitsu 4G63T transplant :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999

sst
Swagester

Postby sst » 08 May 2008 15:36

Well I took my Spider to get the windshield replaced professionally.. I wondered why nobody took me outside to inspect their work.. On inspection, the chrome on the passenger side was mangled - completely ruined.. In addition, when they went to remove the chrome, they also left pry marks, or gouges, in the metal part of the windshield column..

Now they claim the chrome isn't all that bad, but will replace it.. its mangled and twisted where somebody apparently had a HARD time removing it.. the 'pry' parks (looks to have been made with a screwdriver) in the metal line up perfectly with the mangled chrome, but the people at the shop refuse to take responsibility for it..

They claim they only pry chrome off from the inside of the car! How can you do that if the glass from the windshiel is between you and the chrome? The only thing I can think is if they shoved a screw driver between the glass and the metal column and the screwdriver went outside on top of the metal column.. When he pried it off he left the dents and marks in the metal column..

This is probably going to end up in court.. Just letting everyone know that even when you take your car to a professional, who charged out the BUTT to install the windshield, that sometimes they have NO respect for these cars and will gladly SCREW it up and try to hand you the keys..

So, beware, and protect yourself by taking photos of the area that is going to be worked on before you drop the car off.. Some people view these cars as 28 yer old pieces of junk and will work on them with no respect..

Son of a .... THATS gonna leave a mark!