Anonymous

Blanking plug on water pump cover

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 18 Nov 2007 19:14

That's great, thanks Beans. That now means I have the choice of two manifolds. Which carbs are you running on it? I thought you had Dcoe45's? If the manifold has 48mm diameter inlets, I presume it would need Dcoe48 or Dhla48 carbs, surely anything less would not perform correctly due to the larger inlet ports. Many years ago I had a Dolomite Sprint 16valve 2litre that ran twin Dhla48's but that was a full race spec engine giving off approx 240Bhp, I don't think I'd want that on the road, although it would be very entertaining in a 7!!

Regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 18 Nov 2007 19:26

Weber DCOE 45, which indeed means there will be some slight air turbulance (= loss in flow) due to the fact that the manifold widens up a bit (1,5 mm).

So you are correct for ultimate power i'd have to use 48's, but with between 152,5 and 165 bhp at the wheels over various runs on a rolling road during set-up I don't complain to much [:D]

Downside on 48's would be drivebility in normal day to day driving. 't Kreng was originaly used as a daily driver ...

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)
1981 TR7 DHC (not very well known yet, but back on the road)
Also a 1980 TR7 DHC, 1980 TR7 DHC FI, 1981 TR7 FHC
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/</i></font id="blue"></center>

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 18 Nov 2007 19:33

That's exactly what I thought. Your car must be very spirited on the roads none-the-less. Thanks for your input Beans, it is always helpful. I certainly don't fancy trying to wrestle with 48's on the roads. I may well stick with the Dhla40's until the Sprint engine is ready then go shopping for some decent 45's. Is it worth trying to improve the flow through the manifold? As it's only 1.5mm difference over the entire diameter, a little smoothing might make a reasonable difference.

Many thanks

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 18 Nov 2007 20:32

A step UP in the airstream direction is not a bad thing - some say it can actually help by restricting reverse flow (reflection) pulses. But if you wanted - you could always line the manifold with 'plastic metal' and then smooth it all out to get a perfect match with the carb.
Twin 40's should be enough for a road car - provided 34 mm chokes are used, although 45s with 40 mm chokes are obviously going to be better! However the original 1.75" (= 46.45 mm) SUs shouldn't be dismissed too easily - although on shared manifold ports, the engine only breathes through one cylinder at a time and so the 'sharing' is not too bad - each cylinder having the full bore of the SU available as it breathes. Has anyone tried 4 x SUs on a 'weber' like manifold ?

ImageImage

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 18 Nov 2007 21:05

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bmcecosse</i>

...Has anyone tried 4 x SUs on a 'weber' like manifold ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No but still dreaming of two twin SU as used on the Conrero Le Mans car [:)]
35-36 mm chokes (in a DCOE/DHLA 45)on a 2000 cc 16 valve engine should be more than enough on a road car. My car's really on the edge of tractability for road use and that's running 36mm chokes. Air flow/speed is essential

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)
1981 TR7 DHC (not very well known yet, but back on the road)
Also a 1980 TR7 DHC, 1980 TR7 DHC FI, 1981 TR7 FHC
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/</i></font id="blue"></center>