Anonymous

Blanking plug on water pump cover

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Blanking plug on water pump cover

Postby ngtf » 13 Nov 2007 17:24

Hi All

After reading a lot of matter regarding the TriumphTune weber conversion (Many thanks Mr Clancy) for the 8valve engine, I have decided to embark on it. My engine is a stage 2 complete with a decent extractor manifold so should benefit from the conversion. Because I already had them, I have decided to use twin Dellorto DHLA 40's.

My question is this, one of the modifications needed is to fit a core plug to the vacant hole on top of the water pump cover. If this is not used with the Weber setup, what is it's point with the SU setup? Like many of you, I have generally been so p155ed off when refitting an inlet manifold only to find one of the stupid O rings has either broken or become damaged and is now allowing water to escape. The only solution being to rip the inlet manifold off again and replace the offending O ring again.

Any thoughts!!

Regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 13 Nov 2007 17:41

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ngtf</i>

...what is it's point <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
It aids circulation of coolant between head and engine block when the thermostat is closed.

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)
1981 TR7 DHC (not very well known yet, but back on the road)
Also a 1980 TR7 DHC, 1980 TR7 DHC FI, 1981 TR7 FHC
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/</i></font id="blue"></center>

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 13 Nov 2007 17:45

I understand that Beans, but why is it not needed with the Weber conversion? Surely the same reason exists for whatever manifold/carburettor combination is used?

Many thanks

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 13 Nov 2007 18:26

Just part of the original 'mad' design of this engine! Be glad if you can blank it off - something less to go wrong!

ImageImage

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 13 Nov 2007 21:05

Well my Weber manifold (be it a Sprint) does incorporate the connector between manifold and waterpump.
If you ditch it your cooling will suffer one way or another.

That's also the main reason I didn't go for the TT 8V Weber set up for the DHC

<center>Image

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 13 Nov 2007 21:32

Thanks Beans.......I have also got the Weber manifold for the Sprint engine when it is ready but that also needs the core plug fitted to the water pump cover. I guess it is also the TriumphTune solution.

If anyone is interested, I also have a spare Weber manifold for an 8valve engine.

Regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 17 Nov 2007 10:22

Having now had the benefit of talking to Rob at Robsport, he has confirmed that the fuel injection version had no spigot fitted to the top of the water pump cover. Rob is now going to despatch a cover to me which means I don't have to thump a core plug into my cover!

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 17 Nov 2007 13:17

Also the FI engines didn't have the coolant connection at the back of the cilinder head ...

<center>Image

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 17 Nov 2007 15:14

But presumably they still managed to keep cool ok!

ImageImage

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 17 Nov 2007 23:33

The only thing I know (from own experience) is that the original euro spec header tank system works without a problem, even under severe (very hot) conditions.

Also the DHC I have now runs (slightly) cooler since I swapped the US spec FI engine for a euro spec one. So with coolant circulation through manifold and rear of head ...

It's up to you to decide what you're going for [:p]

<center>Image

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 18 Nov 2007 09:27

I do agree with what you are saying Beans but I find it very difficult to believe that a company with TriumphTune's reputation would design, manufacture and sell a Weber solution that could compromise or damage the vehicle for which it was designed.

A very good friend of mine has the same solution as mine on a standard TR7 engine. During a two week holiday around the Cornish riviera he only noticed a very slight lift in coolant temperature when stuck in traffic on a very hot day. His comments to me were that the car performs very well and he did not notice the fan tripping in any more or longer than it used to.

I would be interested to know who manufactured your Weber manifold for your Sprint engine. I also have one for the Sprint but it still requires the removal of the spigot on the water pump cover. Unfortunately the Weber manifolds are very difficult to get hold of so sometimes it really is just Hobsons choice.

Kind regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 18 Nov 2007 10:25

The manifold I have is an STR438 (yes through TT), originally meant for Dolly Sprint.
Quality out of the box wasn't great, casting needed a lot of attention in some crucial places ...
In particular the connection between pump cover and manifold wasn't machined properly [B)]

<center>Image

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 18 Nov 2007 14:15

Hi Beans

Another question for you. I have been having a rummage in my garage and turned up another inlet manifold. It has two very poorly Weber 40Dcoe's on it and is attached to a 2litre 16valve dolomite head. The head is also scrap but the inlet manifold does have the connection for the spigot to the water pump cover. My question is do you know anything about the manifold itself, it only has one marking on it's casting which is 4430. It may well be a better bet when I finally get the Sprint engine done.

Kind regards

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 18 Nov 2007 15:22

Set of fabricated weber manifolds for a Sprint on ebay at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Dolomite- ... dZViewItem

ImageImage

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 18 Nov 2007 18:47

So looks like you have the same manifold as I have on the car.

If it is the same, it's to big for 40mm carbs, inlets are ø 48 mm.
If you're going to use it make sure there is a (small) gap between thermostat house and water pump cover.

<center>Image