Anonymous

Some more progress

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Some more progress

Postby mnypitTR8 » 10 Nov 2007 22:56

Here are some pics I took of the engine bay after I cleaned it and did some painting.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r237 ... 20project/

John Peacock
It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory.
80 TR7, Brooklands Green, on its way to big power
98 Z28 LS1, marking its territory in many ways

silverseven
TRemendous

Postby silverseven » 11 Nov 2007 01:32

looking sharp!!

[8D]

Ron.

ImageImageImage

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 15 Nov 2007 21:27

I picked up a set of SUs off ebay pretty cheap. I am going to try to get the engine back in the bay this weekend. Maybe get it running in a couple weeks.

Then starts the paint work on the body.

John Peacock

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 08 Dec 2007 19:18

And just a little more. The engine is in. The dizzy is in, exhaust bolted up, fuel pump on, carbs are torn apart and soaking. Might actually start it tomorrow.

Here's some pics

John Peacock

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 08 Dec 2007 19:31

Hi John,
Looking good mate [:D] Good luck with firing her up.
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC Soon to be a 4.6 fire breather!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 08 Dec 2007 21:47

carbs are rebuilt. I forgot to order a new oil filter and those stupid hoses under the intake, so not gonna be tomorrow. Probably next weekend. Just have to bolt them on and make sure all the electrical is hooked up. The battery is on charge, so once I get the last essentials I should be ready to go. The fuel smells bad, so I may have to drain the tank.

More to come.

John Peacock

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 09 Dec 2007 21:05

Local parts store had the filter, and I matched up a couple heater hoses they had in stock, so it is now full of oil, full of coolant, and ready to start. But I had no spark. So I figured that out and cranked it to assure I have spark. Great, working. So I hook up the coil wire and go to crank it. Now the starter is just clicking.

So I give up for today. I am gonna charge the battery to make sure I have a full charge, but I doubt that's it. It seems to be fine because the headlights work fine. I think the starter just died.

So that's that.

Anybody want a TR7 with a rebuilt engine cheap??

John Peacock

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Dec 2007 02:04

The starter can die real quick. I had mine just click once. Next turn of the key it turned over and started. A couple of days of driving later it would just click. As it was late Sept and I had decided to paint the passenger door (wet sanding done outside) I decided to park it for it's winter projects while I still had some weeks of good weather still in store. I cleaned contacts of wiring at the starter (other end had been done). Tried again and it turned over twice and that was it. Battery was fully charged and checked with a hydrometer. Time for a modern gear reduction starter. I'm all for originality but lighter weight, stronger starter using less juice that the ignition can use espetially when it can't be seen under exhaust and heat sheild is a no brainer.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 11 Dec 2007 02:46

One step forwardd and 3 steps back. The engine is in and ready to start. The fuel is bad in the tank, so that has to be drained somehow. The starter solenoid clicks but wont turn the starter. Then this morning I walk out in the garage to find a puddle of coolant under the car. The damn water pump is leaking. I knew I should have replaced it when I had the engine out.

The rear wheels cylinders are leaking now too. One is bad enough to put the brake to the floor and empty the master cylinder. Tires are seperated and junk.

So here are my options. Spend another $500 to $1000 to get it running, sell it, or maybe donate it to charity. I am honestly tired of spending money on a car thats not worth anything and busting my knuckles all weekend only to find more problems. For what I will have in this thing I can buy a very nice one. And I have no sentimental attatchment to it at this point and the wife wants her space back in the garage.

I think its gonna go away one way or another. Not sure if anyone wants it. If you got the time and inclination, I will sell it cheap. Might be worth it as a parts car, or who knows. I have a title. Maybe I will stick it on eBay.

John Peacock

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Dec 2007 03:25

All standard stuff on a 27+ year old car. Expect to replace all rubber components and seals. The things you have named are included in this. Alternator and starter don't last forever and can be expected to go any time if they haven't been upgraded to a modern alternative. Expect to clean and lube every electrical contact if you don't want electrical problems. What surprises me is my clutch and brakes are still working and not leaking after being stored for seven years and used for last year. (I haven't even got around to bleeding them yet but will before spring.) Other than a small leak from the oil pump it doesn't leak any more than my much newer Tercel or Integra.

While standard parts are cheap they do add up and yes you could probably buy a better example for cheaper than doing yourself from scratch but that should be balanced by the satisfaction that you did it yourself, that it is done right (assuming you did) and you didn't take any shortcuts (assuming you didn't) that will rear up and bite you is the ass at the least opportune time.

I look at fixin' time as a hobby, I have other cars for transportation. My wife doesn't come in the garage (she might catch something[:)]). Sometimes a break from it will renew your enthusiasm. Always a good idea before making a firm decision. Especially on an in depth project.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 12 Dec 2007 04:04

I allready have one car to feel that satisfaction on. I certainly think that starting with a running driving car would still be more satisfying.

Either way, I bought a waterpump and rear wheel cylinders and shoes today. Should be here in a few days. I am getting an electric fuel pump tomorrow to pump out the fuel tank. I tore down the starter and it was pretty nasty inside. I cleaned it up and put it back together and it is working for now. Terry is sending me another one in case it dies again. I also replaced the battery cables today.

I think it would have run tonight if the fuel wasnt so nasty.

John Peacock

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 18 Dec 2007 19:23

Tires and so on are only to be expected! It would be a shame to stop now - keep at it!! If the rear cylinders have leaked oil - you will need new brake shoes as well as cylinders.

ImageImage

Philip
Rust Hunter

Postby Philip » 19 Dec 2007 09:30

What a great idea, spray the engine bay black ! Why didnt I thin kof that. Beats having to strip everything out for a respray back to original colour.

Still standing !

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 19 Dec 2007 20:05

What? You mean black's not the original colour?[:D]

mnypitTR8
Rust Hunter

Postby mnypitTR8 » 19 Dec 2007 22:09

I dont plan on opening the hood ever again, once its running, so nobody will see it anyway.[:D]

John Peacock