Anonymous

Door Open Buzzer

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
black_1980_tr7
Wedge Pilot

Door Open Buzzer

Postby black_1980_tr7 » 31 Oct 2007 11:21

I cleaned the corrosion off the door "open" switch that activates
the door mounted courtesy lamps...those work fine now.

Then I cleaned the contacts on the switch above the courtesy lamp
switch...now the buzzer in my dash board activates every time
I open the driver's side door. Independent of whether the key is
in the ignition or not.

I can understand: give the buzzer when the ignition = RUN <OR> when
the ignition = OFF with the headlamps are ON <AND> door is OPEN...
for buzzer logic...but IGNITION = HEADLAMPS = OFF <AND> Door is OPEN
seems a strange time to activate the buzzer since its not really
warning me of anything. And the buzzer works just after starting the
car too, thats understandable and common.

From looking at the TR7 wiring diagram, it appears the system
may have been meant to act this way...buzzer activates with Drivers
door open with any Ignition condition.

How does your buzzer work? Or should I disconnect the Battery+ into
the buzzer unit and replace it with a 2 diodes OR'ing Igntion = RUN and the Side-Corner lamps signal?

[:)]

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 31 Oct 2007 16:27

I will post a TR8 wiring Diagram tonight that you can download.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

bottomtop
Rust Hunter

Postby bottomtop » 31 Oct 2007 23:03

Were all cars fitted with this? I hear a variety of odd noises from my car from time to time but not heard of a door open buzzer before.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 31 Oct 2007 23:48

Yes, but it is a Key In Lock/Door Open Buzzer, unless it has been disconnected.

AH! Wait! Only US versions had this nicety! If you look under the steering column, at the bottom of the lock, you will see a spade connector right at the edge of the steering components cover. There should be a Black/Light Green wire attached.

TR8 Wiring diagram posted. [url="http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/45/wo/eogmy88bWucmQr7r.1/0.2.1.2.26.31.97.1.35.0.1.1.1?user=jclaythompson&fpath=Triumph_Articals&templatefn=FileSharing4.html"]Click here and then download TR8_schematics.[/url]

jclay

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 01 Nov 2007 00:51

Isn't it tied into the seat sensor switch so if your sitting in the drivers seat it doesn't turn on until you get out of the car and leave your keys in the ignition, door still open. It's to remind you to take the keys out of the ignition before your walk away from the car. Bothersome if you're moving about the car working on stuff.

BTW: When I came back to my car after getting a bruise fixed on the windshield the buzzer was faintly on. Heavy guy sitting in seat left (old) sensor still activated while taking the key out of ignition without turning it completely off. Moral of story. Never leave your car with mechanics, they'll always screw something up. (sorry you pro mechanics out there.)

black_1980_tr7
Wedge Pilot

Postby black_1980_tr7 » 02 Nov 2007 02:05

thanks, the little spade terminal under the ignition key switch
was where the problem was...

as for the seat sensor, yes the seat diaphram sensor is connected to this same buzzer & and the seat belt clasp so that the buzzer will sound if the seat belt is disconnected. On my old XKE it goes one step
further and prevents you from starting the car until the seat belt
is clicked unto its clasp.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 02 Nov 2007 02:29

My dash indicators are the very dark ones and I can't see them during the day, so I have driven miles with the blinkers flashing.

I have thought about connecting the blinkers to that same stupid buzzer. I think I will just pick up one from radio shack and splice it into the main blinker line (light green/brown going to the blinker switch). <font color="red">Won't work, it would buzz all of the time. I ill have to come up with another idea. You know, about a year ago someone come up with a relay system to blink the corner indicator lights, but I haven't been able to find it again.</font id="red">

jclay

Rich in Vancouver
Swagester

Postby Rich in Vancouver » 02 Nov 2007 12:18

That's good information. That G/B wire has been hanging down under my dash and I thought it was the Fuel guage wire (Fuel guage doesn't work.)
Thanks for removing that red herring from my next round of electrical troubleshooting!

Cheers,
Richard

1975 TR7 ACL764U

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 02 Nov 2007 14:15

Rich,

Go to the "Fresh Air Door" topic, click on my link there, then the Triumph Articals link. Now you can download the "TR8_schematics.pdf".

They are really easy to read, trace out the wiring and the systems are very well marked.