Anonymous

Gearbox removal The Affair

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
sunnie
Scuttle Shaker

Gearbox removal The Affair

Postby sunnie » 30 Oct 2007 09:51

Hi all

I am in the process of taking out the gear box and have come to the part where the book tells me to loosen and remove the 4 bolts that hold the bias springs for the gear leaver.
Q Do i need to remove the 4 nuts or can i get away with just the 2 that are easily accessible from the cock pit. The top of the gear exchange.

I need to get the clutch going and it is stuck on to the flywheel plus is it an easy job to replace the back seal on the gear box as i will have it out and thought that it would be a good idea. It is leaking hahah. I know some of the answers that i will get.

Another question that i have tried to get an answer on is that i have looked around at different master and booster prv units and the best that i have seen that will fit is from a Volvo 960. So does anyone have an opinion on this.

Ta for any answers
Sunnie

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 30 Oct 2007 16:37

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am in the process of taking out the gear box and have come to the part where the book tells me to loosen and remove the 4 bolts that hold the bias springs for the gear leaver.
Q Do i need to remove the 4 nuts or can i get away with just the 2 that are easily accessible from the cock pit. The top of the gear exchange.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I assume you are referring to the 4 'bolts' here:

If you don't want to remove more interior to get to this stage, just lever the spring 'fingers' away from the gearlever 'fingers' one at a time.

sunnie
Scuttle Shaker

Postby sunnie » 30 Oct 2007 21:12

Ta jeffremj

I see from yours that you can see all of the bolts whereas with mine you can only see the one bolt as i have asmaller opening than you. I am at work so i will take a photo tonightand you can see what i am saying.

Ta again and yes you have answered my question
All i need now is a conversation on the master/servo booster for 78 fhc.

Chat later
Sunnie

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 31 Oct 2007 00:26

DO NOT TAKE THE FOUR BOLTS OUT!!

You don't need to, use a flat screwdriver to push the ends of the springs over the ends of the gear shift pins and slip the ends under the bolt head right under each one.

Then you will take out the one bolt that holds the round cover in place. The next step is to pull the gear shift lever out of the shift housing. WRAP A SHOP CLOTH AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER BEFORE YOU PULL IT OUT!! If you don't you will loose the anti rattle spring and pin as it flies away across the garage!

You don't need to take the trans out to free up the clutch if the engine is running.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

sunnie
Scuttle Shaker

Postby sunnie » 31 Oct 2007 03:21

Ta jclay

Yes that was what i thought. Just making sure that i was on the right track.
No the motor does not run so i do need to take it out and is not a real problem. Also have the car in a position under house and have no flat room or area to try different approaches. And if i tried to rock the box with motor running i would brake the wrong part. 'Bucklys'
My dad said before he slipped his mortal coil was that the clutch needed a change. Has never been done!

but ta jclay

Sunnie
Will photo tonight and let ya know

sunnie
Scuttle Shaker

Postby sunnie » 31 Oct 2007 07:34

Hi again

Here is the photo i promised
IMG]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/sunnie_brisbane/GearBoxShift.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see the access is smaller than what the other photo shows
Ta Sunnie

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 31 Oct 2007 16:31

If you remove the console, you can remove the cover plate by removing 4 screws. If you want to see some photos of the job I did on mine last summer, click on the "Homepage" logo at the top of this entry to go to my site.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay