Anonymous

starter clicks but won't turn over? TR7

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
DonEvans
Wedgling

starter clicks but won't turn over? TR7

Postby DonEvans » 29 Oct 2007 22:16

1979 TR7 starter clicks but won't turn over the engine. Spark plugs are out. I can turn the engine over by hand using the crank pulley and belt. Removed the starter and had it checked out. I does spin when bench tested. Tried two different batteries. Probably something simple. Help. Don

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 29 Oct 2007 22:30

Very common - the solenoid part is not moving forward enough to make the heavy duty contacts which fire the motor! Was it ok before - and now suddenly it's not working ? Need to know the history. To eliminate all wiring effects - try a direct feed from bat +ve to the little terminal on the starter - just touch it on and see if the motor engages. If so - then it's a faulty feed from the key switch, if no then the solenoid is faulty or the pinion is jamming on the shaft and physically can't move into mess with the ring gear.
And - do tell us where you are - someone local to you can maybe have a look at it with you!

ImageImage

DonEvans
Wedgling

Postby DonEvans » 29 Oct 2007 22:51

Thanks, The car has sat for about two years. The starter will spin the starter gear forward when bench tested. I replaced the blue relay in the glove box and it clicks along with the starter solenoid when the key is activated to start position. The PO said it had been running. OH, there are two spade terminals on the starter, one of which has a small wire connected. There are two larger wires connected to a threaded terminal on the starter. I am in the state of Oregon in the USA. Thanks again, Don

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 29 Oct 2007 23:13

Check you have a good earth (engine to body). If it works well on the bench, it could just be a simple earthing problem. Try putting a jump lead from the -ve battery terminal to the engine and try again.

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 29 Oct 2007 23:50

OK, the clicking is coming from the blue relay, but nothing is happening at the starter.

First check that the red/orange wire has a good connection to the small lug. They are bad about corroding as water, durt and mud get thrown up on them.

The small wire white/orange wire on the small blade at the starter goes to the starter relay. There should be a Brown wire (goes to the back of the alternator) and the big red wire from the battery on the main lug of the starter.

If checking the red/orange didn't help, then use a test wire (two wires with a 12 volt bulb in the middle) to check that you are getting power at the red wire at the started. Ground one end of the test wire and touch the other to the red wire at the lug. If the bulb lights up you have power to the starter.

Pull the white/orange wire and connect the tag end of the test light to the wire. Turn the ignition switch to start. The relay should click and the test light should come on.

If the light comes on both times, the starter is probably bad. One last check Use a jumper wire from the big lug and touch it to the small blade lug. If the starter turns, then there is a bad connection somewhere.

colonel bogey
Rust Hunter

Postby colonel bogey » 30 Oct 2007 17:55

Also make sure that the wires are bolted up tight on the starter solenoid,had me baffled for a while on mine,felt like such a pratt when i eventually found them finger tight[B)]

Greg

'76 TR7 FHC Auto Java Green
"Colonel Bogey"

DonEvans
Wedgling

Postby DonEvans » 01 Nov 2007 16:14

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them next week when I have time and will let you know how it works. Don