Anonymous

What can you tell me about this Weber conversion?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
atikovi
Wedgling

What can you tell me about this Weber conversion?

Postby atikovi » 23 Oct 2007 12:58

Ever since I got my '80 TR7 some 10 years ago it never ran right carb wise. High idle, hesitation, hard starting etc. Even after rebuilding and rebushing the throttle shafts. After doing the rebuilds and looking at some diagrams I figured out the carbs probably came from a TR3! Anyway, I've been looking for a Weber conversion kit for the last few years but have been over $1000 for new ones why even used ones were selling for over $600. Today I found and bought this kit on Ebay for what I figure is roughly $350 including a pair of rebuild kits: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230184354599&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013 Is that a reasonable price for these? What kind of carbs are they? Performance or economy? Looks like they have automatic chokes.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 23 Oct 2007 20:49

Here is a set installed on my car.

First thing to do is to get a set of the aluminum mounting plates as the rubber ones can not take the stress of the extra weight and leverage.

Check my web site.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

atikovi
Wedgling

Postby atikovi » 23 Oct 2007 23:33

Thanks, I'll be back to your site often.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 23 Oct 2007 23:42

Let me know when you are going to set them up and I will tell you the steps to synchronize them. They are not that rare and the rebuild kits are available from Victoria British or any other supplies. Also, the carbs are used on so many other british cars that the air cleaners are also readily available. You can get them at BAP.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

frankman
Swagester

Postby frankman » 24 Oct 2007 15:34

Hi atikovi $ 350 is a good price - go for it

- otherwise I would thake the 45 DCOE I guess you get more torque Pierce Manifold from Gilroy has some Mangolets Manifolds but these are sidedraft - you can use with this Dellort, Weber, Solex .. (Mikumi im not shure)

Hello from Switzerland

Frank

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 24 Oct 2007 15:49

AND!
With the DHLA/DCOE side draft manifolds - there's a whole lot of efi throttle-bodies to be had out there! [Of course you can do this on the SU/ZS manifolds as well. There's neat and nice throttle-bodies to be had for them as well...] And then the entire world of smooth running [and eco friendly!] fuel injected engine technology is just a fingertip click away... Sooo coool...

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 24 Oct 2007 17:16

I'd also choose the Weber DCOE/Dellorto DHLA/Solex option.
For the reason mentioned above but they also flow better and ...

... they look and sound much better [:D]

On the other hand, a pair of (proper set up) SU HS6 carb's should give you proper results, even if the engine is tuned a bit.

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)
1981 TR7 DHC (not very well known yet, but back on the road)
Also a 1980 TR7 DHC, 1980 TR7 DHC FI, 1981 TR7 FHC
http://tr7beans.blogspot.com/</i></font id="blue"></center>

Jolyon39
Wedgista

Postby Jolyon39 » 24 Oct 2007 20:19

Hi Odd,

What throttle bodies do you have in mind?

There are some great motorbike ones out there as well, have you looked at those?

Jolyon

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 25 Oct 2007 05:55

None in particular, and all in general. [Doing a Google for Throttle body and EFI and Weber [or SU] will generate several hits.]
I just wanted to state that efi rules and that it is stone-age to fit carbs in these days of fuel-injection-for-all available otc or mail order. With a DIY injection like MegaSquirt and a set of throttle bodies to fit either the original SU/ZS inlets, the DCOE/DHLA manifolds [or an oem fi inlet manifold!] the engine will feel much better... EFI rules...

[Personally I don't need to do anything;
my 3.5 have the oem 'California' Lucas LJetronic efi and
my 3.9 have an oem 'Discovery' Lucas CUX hot wire injection...
My dads 3.5 have a Holley/Offenhouser combo - but that one will have a MegaSquirt or Lucas CUX injection fitted in the future, as soon as all the parts are sourced. ]

frankman
Swagester

Postby frankman » 26 Oct 2007 16:39

...... they look and sound much better [:D] yes You touch my soul !

I have made my experience with Weber's 45 3 inline

http://www.xkedata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=7766 - sold this year house or car? [B)]

Odd ...fuel injected engine technology is just a fingertip - [8)]I can't believe that this technologie from late 70's is eco [?]

Hello from Switzerland

Frank

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 26 Oct 2007 17:13

Frank,
actually efi <u>is</u> eco friendly [at least much more friendly than carburettor technology when fitted onto an Otto-cycle internal combustion engine] and this is due to the very easy implementation of catalytic converters onto a car using efi with lambda control - and I don't think any of the (environmentally conscious) after market fuel injection kits runs without lambda control. When running an engine on efi/lambda/catcons it is also possible to run an Otto-cycle engine on other (non-fossil) fuels - like alcohol. In our case there are already efi inlet manifolds [in abundance for the Rover V8 and rather easy to find for the TR7 engine] to be had - so a fitment of a Megasquirt kit (for instance) is so easy most Wedge owners should be able to do it. And my view is that they really should go ahead and do it...

Jolyon39
Wedgista

Postby Jolyon39 » 26 Oct 2007 20:37

OMG Frankman.....Why did you sell that E-Type! A house or that...no contest. I would even have given you a tent so that you could keep the car.

Bias of course, the E is my goal, I will get one but yours is a pristine example.

Jolyon

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 29 Oct 2007 18:39

Can't see the point of these downdraught webers - if they still feed into the standard manifold. Decent pair of 1.75" SUs suitably modified will flow all the air a standard engine needs - and dead easy to work with. Obviously a twin 45 DCOE weber conversion will be able to flow more - but no point unless other engine mods have been carried out to use the extra flow!

ImageImage