Anonymous

gas in the oil

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
wilkpauled
Wedgling

gas in the oil

Postby wilkpauled » 20 Oct 2007 14:15

Can anyone give me some advice? I've been having troubles with my '75 fhc. The oil has been smelling of gas for the past few months, and I've had a few things done to try to rectify the problem. First, at my regular shop, they put on a gas pressure regulator--didn't help. Then, I decided to have the carburetors rebuilt, thinking it was a bad float, needle or seat. Car runs better now, but the oil still smells of gas (of course, new oil was put in, so it's not a question of that).
Now my mechanic says it's thus a bad fuel pump--I do have to admit that it's always been a little funny that fuel pump, dripping occasionally as it does. So, I'm going to try that, but after that, I really have no idea what else to do. The compression is fine, from what they told me, so it's not bad rings.
Has anyone else out there had any problems like this, and if so, what did you do?
Thanks,
wilkpauled

jetser
Wedgling

Postby jetser » 20 Oct 2007 18:19

Hi
Sometimes when a car is used onely for short distances the oil can smell to fuel because the car won't reach it's working temperature.
Fuel can get into the oil because of the cold start(long story in short version)
Like you already tought yourselves the fuel pump sounds more likely.
It was the first thing wich I tought of when I was reading your story.
When the membrame of the pump is leaking...
Well the rest of the story you can fill in yourselves.
Succes with the job!
Greetings Ilja

TR7 SPIDER FI

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 20 Oct 2007 23:14

First thought is fuel pump leaking into the block through the diaphragm. Good luck with that, be sure to check the throw of the fuel pump lever and the thickness of the shim between the block and the pump. (three different lengths!)

Second is the ventilation system for the motor which is connected to the gas vapor system.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

wilkpauled
Wedgling

Postby wilkpauled » 21 Oct 2007 20:13

Thanks for the info. I knew generally about the shim issue, and I was wondering if that might be part of the problem. I have a new pump which is supposed to be specific to the '75-76 cars, so I'm hoping that will do the trick--no need for spacers perhaps?
If it is the ventilation system, what could be done about that?
Thanks,
wilkpauled

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 21 Oct 2007 20:53

If the fuel pump has been leaking into the oil - then beware! The engine can explode. Drain off the oil and change the filter too. If it's just engine breathing - check the breather pipes are all clean/not choked and not collapsed/kinked.

ImageImage

wilkpauled
Wedgling

Postby wilkpauled » 22 Oct 2007 01:35

That's exactly what I'm afraid of--and my girlfriend too (with good reason, obviously). Right now, it's not a massive leak, but it's still very troubling. I'll have a look at the breather system too.
Best,
wilkpauled