Anonymous

Painting lower "rockers"

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Johnluss
Rust Hunter

Painting lower "rockers"

Postby Johnluss » 11 Oct 2007 15:25

Hi! I have to repaint the lower panels which I think are named "rockers??" What is the best way. There is a little bit of rust. Do I have to sand blast to the bare metal or only remove the loose paint and rust and use the Por15 system?
Thanks fot the help.

Rblackadar
TRiffic

Postby Rblackadar » 11 Oct 2007 16:36

Well, How thorough do you want to be? If it were me, I'd do the best job possible. That is a critical part of the body you don't want rotting. If there is rust and rot on the outside, there is sure to be rust on the inside (which is even worse) Pull back the carpet and peel back the tape covering the holes on the inner sill (rocker) look very carefully with a small mirror and flashlight to see if there is rust on the inside. There are treatments to slow this stuff down Like Waxoyl or Dinotrol. But if the sill is rotted, most likely need a replacement because that rust spreads like wildfire there. If it is a simple matter of surface rust on the outside only, blast it prep, prime ,paint original color and then add the anti chip coating.....I think the Por 15 would be OK but it will look like hell on the sill. I keep that stuff only on the under side of the car. If you put that stuff on the sills it will fade from the sunlight in no time.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Oct 2007 03:29

Unless you sand it and paint over it to protect it from UV. No sense doing anything if rusted on the inside short of replacing it. My original paint on rockers is really crude so no matter how bad a paint job you do it won't be worse than the original. In fact a bad paint job there will probably get you extra concourse points.[:D]

Johnluss
Rust Hunter

Postby Johnluss » 12 Oct 2007 20:06

Thanks for the answers. I do not have rust inside the rockers and it was treated with rust preventive oil. And there is only rusted spots from small rocks. Any of you have mud flaps from Victoria British or any others?
Thanks

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Oct 2007 20:34

I wouldn't put on mud flaps. While they may stop some rocks from hitting the rockers they will trap mud (dirt) between them and the wheel wells and cause rusting as it increases the dampness in that area. Better to treat the rockers with a coating of anti chip stuff.

Rich in Vancouver
Swagester

Postby Rich in Vancouver » 13 Oct 2007 01:11

That's right, repair the rusty spots that you have then give the rockers a coat of gravel guard before painting them. This will replicate the textured factory finish.

Richard

1975 TR7 ACL764U

silverseven
TRemendous

Postby silverseven » 14 Oct 2007 02:58

Personally I'd think there's no need to sandblast light surface ruststone chips, it's messy and honestly kind of overkill for this kind of smallish repair.
Though not having ever really inspecting your car up that close Jean, judging by your description of the 'rockers' I'd prolly think that a little wire brush stripping followed by a good sanding of the damaged area would be enough. Followed by a good catalized primer/sealer, a coat of gravel-guard )shot smooth if you are going colour match) and a few coats of two-stage basecoat colour and clearcoat would be very solid and long lasting. For those who don't want mudguards, (even though many car I've seen around here came with them factory/dealer installed) another idea would be to apply the clear vinyl tape just at the lower contours of the fenders/rockers.......

Jean, one thing your did not mention is, are you planning to refinnish your car complete, or just respray the lower black areas ???

Ron.

ImageImageImage

Johnluss
Rust Hunter

Postby Johnluss » 14 Oct 2007 15:24

I will just respray the rockers. They are already coated with gravel/gard paint. I am waiting for the Por15 kit.
Thanks