Anonymous

Steering Wheel Play Question

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
fiveliters
Swagester

Steering Wheel Play Question

Postby fiveliters » 04 Oct 2007 00:53

Hey... my 80 DHC is doing this thing where it feels like the steering wheel is going to pop off in my hands if I pull it towards me. I did a search on steering,and think this might be the issue:

http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/topic.a ... s=steering

If it isn't,what would it be? The car drives fine and straight,but it is a little unnerving when the wheel moves like that. I checked the big bolt under the rubber cap on the wheel and it seems fine/tight. Are those bushings available thru the usual big 3,or thru a regular parts store here in the US? If I'm going to replace them,I'd rather do so while the weather is still nice here.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 04 Oct 2007 01:21

fiveliters,

Have someone hold the steering shaft at the hole in the firewall from the engine compartment. Try to move your steering wheel around. If it doesn't move then the bottom bushing is your problem.

If you look at the steering shaft under the dash, you will see a clamp with two bolts and one lock nut and set screw. Remove the bolt form the upper part of the u-joint after you mark it. Remember, the bolt will only go in one way. Once it is out, you can push the bottom part of the shaft up into the upper part. Boil the plastic bushing for a few minutes, and when it is soft, push it into the hole. Get under the car and retrieve the washer that fell when you pulled up the shaft.

Now, grease the bushing and push the shaft back through the hole. Put the washer into position and guide the shaft back into the universal joint. Insert the bolt and tighten it up. Tighten the set screw and lock nut.

mb4tim
Wedgista

Postby mb4tim » 04 Oct 2007 02:01

hell, I can hear mine rattle around in the front bulkhead...think I need a new bush down there?? Add it to the list..

Do you think if I collect up all the parts that Santa will put them on as a present, if I'm a really good boy?

-Tim
http://www.morSpeedPerformance.com
ImageImage

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 04 Oct 2007 12:23

Yep, that is the bottom bush!

Good boy, bad boy? I don't know! Which one does your Santa like? [:p]

john
TRiffic

Postby john » 04 Oct 2007 18:53

i know of a simular problem that a freind of mine had on his seven unfortunatly he does.nt post here, but he is an ex mechanic,

it turned out to be the steering rack i'd give this a good look over if i was you

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John

Geobloke
Wedgling

Postby Geobloke » 06 Apr 2008 14:32

Well I have just finished this job on my 81 TR7 and I have to say it wasn't as difficult as I expected. This was the first majorish thing I have done on anything that wasn't a Land Rover and I think it went really well. To no small part of you guys who contribute to this forum. Thank you for the advice. :)

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 06 Apr 2008 17:08

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey... my 80 DHC is doing this thing where it feels like the steering wheel is going to pop off in my hands if I pull it towards me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I had this (manual steering!) and it was the steering rack pinion bearing that had probably been damaged when someone had tried to remove the steering wheel without a proper puller. Alternatively, it could be the universal joints' splines are not fastened properly:

The only way to find out is with the help of another person, they move the steering wheel in and out and you hold the steering column in the engine bay to locate the looseness.

If it is the pinion, you used to be able to buy them separately, otherwise it is a 'new' rack.