Anonymous

Winking

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
bmcecosse
TRemendous

Winking

Postby bmcecosse » 03 Jun 2007 22:01

Yes I'm sure it's been on here a thousand times before - - lights ON and the RH unit pops up fine but the LH unit pops up/down/up/down several times before finally staying UP. Now lights OFF - RH unit goes down ok, but the LH unit again just winks and winks and winks - eventually settling DOWN. Whats the most likely cause folks ??

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 03 Jun 2007 23:42

The contacts on the contact strip switches mounted on the side of the head light units.

Have fun, drive fast, be kewl!

jclay

<font size="1"><i>View Photos of my TR7 & read Technical Notes here:</i></font id="size1">
http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/

<i><font size="1">Any information in this post is just an assumption on my part, is probably wrong, but who knows. I take full responsibility for my afore mentioned incorrect assumptions, if there are any! If you don't write it down, it didn't happen (Opps, too late!), I was out of town at the time, no-one saw be do it, you can't prove a thing!</font id="size1"></i>

mb4tim
Wedgista

Postby mb4tim » 04 Jun 2007 01:18

See jclay, cutting back is easy, isn't it...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

-Tim
http://www.morSpeedPerformance.com
ImageImage

mb4tim
Wedgista

Postby mb4tim » 04 Jun 2007 01:55

Sure, I've wanted to call you Friday on the way home from work. I leaned over, tipped the passenger door light down.... and it lit up!!! God save the Queen, something in the car worked from the get-go!

Now, I just need something on the driver's side to fill in the hole. Send them up, let me know what you want for them.

-Tim
http://www.morSpeedPerformance.com
ImageImage

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 04 Jun 2007 08:48

So - apart from all that off thread side chatter - how do I get to these contacts to clean them ?

KRenken
Rust Hunter

Postby KRenken » 04 Jun 2007 18:27

bmcecosse,

Go to jclay’s web site (http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/) and click on the “I want the friggin’ file!â€￾ link. Follow the instructions for downloading the file. On page 365 you will find the section on the headlights.

You will want to remove the motor/crank assembly from the lift mechanism. First unplug the wiring in the engine bay behind the headlamp assembly so the lift mechanism won’t activate and try to pinch your fingers while you’re working on it. With the power to the motor assembly disconnected, you can crank the lamp to the up most position by hand by turning the knob at the bottom of the motor in a counter clockwise direction. Once you have the headlamp in the “upâ€￾ you will be able to remove the motor from the lift mechanism.

Disconnect the crank arm from the motor. The lift mechanism spring should keep the headlamp assembly from dropping down on your hand or fingers. Then remove the 3 bolts that hold the motor to the lift assembly. You will need to pull the motor wires through the grommet. This is more easily done if you pull the grommet out of the hole.

Once you have the motor/crank assembly out where you can work on it, remove the contact strip cover from the assembly (5 screws) and you will see the contact points that need to be cleaned.

Kimmit

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 04 Jun 2007 21:08

Thank you very much Kimmit - great explanation. I have tried and failed to down that file - but I do have the workshop manual on 'disc' (somewhere) is that the same thing ?? How best to clean these contacts - is a fibreglass pencil good for these ? And is it wise to leave them with a film of WD40 - or should they be dry ? Lots of Qs I know - but I am nervous of making expensive mistakes on something I am not familiar with! Thanks again for your help.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 05 Jun 2007 03:56

I'm thinking that might be a little rough. My favorite way is to clean off any oxide, dirt, corrosion with metal polish rubbing with toothbrush or rag depending on application then flush with blast of contact cleaner then blow of with blast of compressed air. Then apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to prevent oxidation from coming back or water corroding it.

bottomtop
Rust Hunter

Postby bottomtop » 31 Mar 2008 00:08

If, like me, you have air conditioning, getting to the passenger side headlight connections and mounts is mighty fun and exciting.

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 31 Mar 2008 14:18

Depends on which side of the car is your passenger side... [:D]

Rich in Vancouver
Swagester

Postby Rich in Vancouver » 01 Apr 2008 02:12

I just removed the entire headlight pod by removing the 4 nuts that hold it onto the car and lifted it out. No messing with springs under the car that way.

Rich

1975 TR7 ACL764U