Anonymous

Electric Fuel Pump Where to get power?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
bonnietiler
Wedge Pilot

Electric Fuel Pump Where to get power?

Postby bonnietiler » 23 Apr 2023 17:31

Now I have had an electric (Facet SILVER) fuel pump for ...well ever since I got the car, no problem..It started to make noises and its is also clogged with this that and the other and has died, I bought another, then I noticed ...excellent...that the Nice big fat RED electrical wire that It used to power up.. is dead as a door nail, The pump is on the bulkhead near to the Wiper motor, I need to get another power source, where would be the best/easiest connection, I have tried a few but they all seem to remain on even with the ignition at the first position ( Radio On ) I would prefer it to only come on when the ignition is turned on (ignition lights on the dash illuminate etc) Is there an obvious choice..tried the coil but power is not quite right there Tried the Washer bottle pump, but it seems to be on all the time there.
Any suggestions much appreciated

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Where to get power?

Postby Rich K » 23 Apr 2023 22:06

Hi, from memory I think a white/red wire from the ignition switch is the one you are looking for, however you should probably think about using that feed to trigger a relay In order to power the fuel pump.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 30 Apr 2023 08:56

Most pumps are better pushing so you can fit it near the tank and use the heated rear window wiring to provide the power.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 01 May 2023 03:48

Having once in my life had to get out & get under a car at night in the pouring rain, I am not the least interested in having a fuel pump & filter in front of the tank on a 7. Likely to be a very unpleasant place place some time in the future, in my opinion.

The pipe from the tank to the original mechanical pump on the engine siphons fuel from the tank if removed from that pump, so there is no actual suction required by an electric pump sited near by, once primed. Thus I sited my pump on the inner guard there.

It is a 1.5 to 2.0 PSI pump, so the bare minimum to supply the tuned 7 engine, but low enough to avoid flooding. It has given to problem there in it's 10 years of service.

Hasbeen

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 01 May 2023 10:37

With an electric fuel pump, you should fit an inertia safety switch to switch the pump off in the event of an accident. I have just fitted one on my TR7 V8 which I got from www.carbuilder.com - the switch is widely available and not expensive but you also need the special plug for which most suppliers are asking an unreasonable price.

Cheers

Howard