Anonymous

Almost ready, what next ?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Re: Almost ready, what next ?

Postby tr7dan » 10 Jul 2022 01:07

Beans wrote:If it has play in that area it is time to renew the viscous coupling. Which is actually fairly easy:
https://tr7beans.blogspot.com/2011/09/10cr-preparations-day-2.html

Ok, thanks - so did you drift the old viscous coupling off and refit the new using a B&D Workmate and hammer rather than a press ?

I think I will replace the v.c. instead of going down the electric fan route, partly for originality but also because it's about half the price of a Revtec kit and from reading some past posts, the electric fans don't seem to be any more reliable anyway. I'm sure there are many out there that have been trouble free but failures are not unheard of so....

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 10 Jul 2022 05:07

When I rebuilt the motor of the 7, about 7 years ago I replaced the radiator with a new stock part, & fitted a complete new viscus fan assembly.

My 7 operates in our 35C+ summer days, running the air conditioning quite happily, without the temperature gauge going more than a needle width past the quarter mark.

I went the other way with the 8. Big 4 core alloy radiator, twin 16" fans, one in front & one behind the radiator, & it still struggled. I reckon the stock system is more likely to do the job than most modified systems.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 10 Jul 2022 12:19

tr7dan wrote: ... Ok, thanks - so did you drift the old viscous coupling off and refit the new using a B&D Workmate and hammer rather than a press ? ...

That's correct, with socket on the pulley shaft. Most force is needed when removing the old coupling, but that needs replacing so support under the coupling. Any damage to it won't harm!
When refitting the coupling it can be supported under the rotating part of the pulley assembly. Gently tap in position using a correct (outer) diameter socket on the couplings inner ring.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/