Anonymous

How do i tighten this up ?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Cobber
TRemendous

Re: How do i tighten this up ?

Postby Cobber » 29 Sep 2022 15:09

dursleyman wrote:Isn't there an old saying something like "most carburettor problems are ignition related" ?

Yep and the opposite is also true, most electrical issues are the fuel system.
Just last week a mate who has an old Toyota Landcruiser running duel fuel ( both petrol and lpg)
As most folks running duel fuel it spends most of the time on lpg.
He’d Ben having problems with it intermittently running like a hairy goat, he was utterly convinced it was something in the ignition system…. He replaced plugs, points, leads, condenser, rotor button and dizzy cap
All to no avail, he was about to start looking at things like wiring, ignition switch etc. Even the head gasket was under suspicion, this last theory was dismissed with compression and coolant system pressure tests.

I asked him to humour me and run it on petrol…..lo and behold! The thing ran as smooth as a dozen bottles of beer!
The problem was a loose hose clamp on the gas hose running from the converter to the mixer. :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: How do i tighten this up ?

Postby busheytrader » 29 Sep 2022 18:37

As the resident old guy (the only one comfortable with carburettors) in a local garage says, “air, fuel, spark”.

The rest of them pull out a gadget with an OBD 2 connector.