Anonymous

Deffo should have taken more pictures......

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Deffo should have taken more pictures......

Postby tr7dan » 18 May 2022 10:06

Continuing with prepping the engine ready for refitting and I am now fitting the alternator. I think I have the correct bolts and spacers located but this slightly cranked bracket at the bottom has me confused. It seems to fit ok where I've put it but is it correct and what's it for?

What is throwing me is the lower bolt fixing listed in the parts book as HU808 (I think is a 1" x 5/16 bolt) but that's nowhere near long enough to fit in the bolt hole at the bottom of the timing cover, which is making me think I've got it wrong ?

thanks

Dan

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Re: Deffo should have taken more pictures......

Postby Rich K » 20 May 2022 10:52

Hi Dan, all looks good to me. It could be that there is an error in the parts manual; wouldn’t be the first time. I would just source a longer bolt but obviously make sure you don’t use one that’s too long and bottoms out/strips the thread in the alloy cover.
Cheers, Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 21 May 2022 14:42

Surely that bottom bolt goes straight through the timimg cover into the block. I am not at home to take one out and measure it but easy to just sort though your 5/16 UNF bolts and find one long enough.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Postby tr7dan » 21 May 2022 22:17

dursleyman wrote:Surely that bottom bolt goes straight through the timimg cover into the block. I am not at home to take one out and measure it but easy to just sort though your 5/16 UNF bolts and find one long enough.

Thanks Russ, yes, it does go through the timing cover and needs to be about 2 inches I think, but what is throwing me is that the parts book clearly shows a 1 inch bolt in that position, hence the confusion.

2C 06R HU808 SCREW 5/16 UNF X 1 INCH
£0.62

Ex VAT @ 20%
£0.52

This is the only TR7 I've worked on and I took it to bits about 20 years ago and didn't take enough pictures so I'm attempting to carefully reassemble by cross checking each part against the factory parts book as I go..... I mean, what could possibly go wrong ! :lol: :lol:

cheers

Dan

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 24 May 2022 15:54

I had the same issue rebuilding the suspension on my still to be rebuilt ‘94 Mini Cooper. The parts book bolt descriptions weren’t 100% accurate whereas the guy at the Minispares counter knows everything off by heart. I try to keep everything together as larger assemblies before dismantling them. Learnt that the hard way. Easy said than done when you have to break them down and send away for shot-blasting.

moestr7v8
Swagester

Postby moestr7v8 » 25 May 2022 22:47

Might be worth contacting Steve Wilcox or Robsport to get a definite answer on this question.
Cheers
Moe