Anonymous

Water pump cover clearance

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Water pump cover clearance

Postby tr7dan » 19 Sep 2021 11:47

Not sure what gasket thickness to go for as I can't get an even spacing on the water pump cover. The best I can get is 10-15 thou clearance at two bolt lugs and touching, ie no clearance, on the third. This is with the bolts finger tight plus a slight tweak to make them snug - no matter how I loosen and tighten the three bolts I can't get an even spacing ?

Thanks

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Re: Water pump cover clearance

Postby Rich K » 19 Sep 2021 16:27

Hi, it seems to me there must be something on one part of the circumference of either the pump cover or block surface I.e. remnant of old gasket etc. Or maybe damage or distortion of the alloy pump cover seating. Have you checked the flatness of the cover, which can be done on a sheet of glass?

Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Postby tr7dan » 19 Sep 2021 21:34

Thanks Rich - no gasket material on the mating surface but I guess it musn't be flat or I would be able to get even spacing.

Not sure how you could check it on a piece of glass as the angled impeller housing area protrudes below the mating surface so you couldn't hold it flat on a flat surface.

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 19 Sep 2021 23:56

You are correct of course. It has been some time since I last changed a water pump and I had forgotten that the angled surface protrudes below the mating surface.

Are the bolt holes clear of any obstruction such that the bolts are able to be fully tightened down?
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

Howard722
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard722 » 27 Sep 2021 16:36

You could root around in your kitchen cupboards and see if you have a small glass/pyrex bowl of convenient size.
Check edge is flat against worktop or glass if handy, place over projecting angled face and check pump mating surface!-does it rock for example.
I found my spare pump housing and thought I`d check out the above-turns out a bowl is a bit big and found a large dia. glass was better.
Enjoy & regards