Anonymous

Gearbox tunnel sound deadening - fitting

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Gearbox tunnel sound deadening - fitting

Postby johnnyj » 23 Aug 2020 12:18

Hi folks. I have the original gearbox tunnel sound deadening pad/panel which I would like to fit back onto my resto. It is the thing which goes under the car and is made of a kind of fibre board coated in rubber/bitumen.

I am having a hell of a job working out how to re-fix it, as the original fixings (rivets? some kind of pin & clip?) aren't obvious - just some tiny pins on the inside of the tunnel which look like broken off rivets. I could simply drill through it and screw it to the gearbox tunnel, but that would leave screws protruding into the cabin, under the carpets somewhere and I wouldn't know where they would come out (or what I would be drilling through on the way).

Glue I think would be too iffy, effected by heat etc. Maybe I bin it and use dynomat or similar, but I'd still have the adhesion problem given that it is under the car.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or previous experience of re-fitting an original one?

Should have said, the engine and gearbox is currently out of the car.

Thanks

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Gearbox tunnel sound deadening - fitting

Postby busheytrader » 23 Aug 2020 13:27

Hi John,

The fixing you describe sounds similar to those on my DHC. A metal pin fused to the bulkhead, pokes through the rubber sound deadening pad, and a flat washer gripping it in to place in the foot wells.

Maybe there's something suitable these guys can offer. I've used them a few times for non standard items. https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/nuts-bolt ... orderBy=15

I'm not a fan of stuff that can trap moisture against metal on a car. I'm fighting the results on a classic Mini. Might be worth using a spray or brush on sound absorbing alternative to refitting the board?

Adam
Last edited by busheytrader on 23 Aug 2020 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 23 Aug 2020 13:36

I can't even recall seeing it on mine but it is sometime since I had the gearbox out.
You could cut off the existing pin remains and use insulation stick pins in the same position to hold it in. These are a little long but the pin is trimmed off after fixing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/62mm-stick-p ... Sw-Rle6f4T
An alternative is to drill through next to the existing pins and use small nuts, bolts and washers from the top to fix it so only the head is inside the car.
Attachments
insulation hangers.jpg
insulation hangers.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 23 Aug 2020 20:10

Thanks Bushy and Saab, some great suggestions there. Looking at the options, I reckon the stick pins will work if they are inserted from the inside of the car, so the square bit remains inside (under the carpet) with the pin going through a hole and protruding into the gearbox tunnel. That should work! The only problem is finding someone who will sell me half a dozen rather than a bag of 50!

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 24 Aug 2020 09:45

I must confess I don't remember a noise insulation pad on the underside of my DHC. I've replaced the propshaft with a modified SD1 item and I had lots of scraped knuckles replacing the remote gearstick housing bushes a few years ago. How far back does this insulation reach?

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 25 Aug 2020 13:46

Hi Bushey, it extends from the engine bay end to the gear lever. In the photo below it is XKC2931, although interestingly it is only listed for the DHC on the Rimmers site. Weird, as mine certainly came off my FHC and is factory original.

Cheers, John
Attachments
XKC2931.jpg
XKC2931.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 25 Aug 2020 18:18

XKC2931 is the sound deadening material sitting on top of the transmission tunnel.
I have seen the (what I think is a) heat shield on a few cars, but never on the later Canley or Solihull.
Weirdly enough it is not listed in any of my parts catalogues spanning the range from 1975-78 and 1979 onwards.
Could it be a TR8 specific piece?
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Chubster
Rust Hunter

Postby Chubster » 25 Aug 2020 20:52

This shows the part in question I believe, it was originally fitted on my car which is a 1977 Speke however it was soaked in oil so I did not use it although would like to find another good original one.
Attachments
TR7 Gearbox tunnel Insulation.JPG
TR7 Gearbox tunnel Insulation.JPG (73.53 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 26 Aug 2020 07:51

@Beans, thanks for the info. I think you are right, the part I quoted is for the interior sound deadening (although the Rimmer picture looks just like the external item). I couldn't find the exterior heat shield listed for a DHC, and what you have said about the TR8 is interesting. It is a mystery, as I can't imagine mine having been retro-fitted from a TR8 as my gearbox is original and I don't think it has been removed previously.
@Chubster, thanks so much for the link and info. You are spot-on with the picture and part. Mine is also a 1977 FHC. The part was also covered in oil and some bits broken, so I had to repair it with fibreboard, rivets and bitumen!

Now, back to the job of somehow getting it attached.... :)

Cheers, John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 26 Aug 2020 17:02

Hi Saabfest, looks like those fixings would also work for the insulation on the bulkhead/firewall behind the dashboard.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 26 Aug 2020 17:05

The longer ones are pretty standard fixings for insulation on HVAC ductwork. They just bend the pins over rather than cut off as it is then clad.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 26 Aug 2020 22:45

Just realised that this isn't exactly like mine, but pretty close. Mine extends further forward, right to the seam where the tunnel meets the engine bay. One thing I don't recognise is the thing hanging down from one of the holes - now I'm thinking "yikes, what have I forgotten?". I'll have to crawl under the car tomorrow to make sure....

Highlighted in yellow.

John
Attachments
TR7 Gearbox tunnel Insulationy.jpg
TR7 Gearbox tunnel Insulationy.jpg (118.06 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

darrellw
Swagester

Postby darrellw » 27 Aug 2020 15:14

I believe that is the A/C (AirCon) drain tube
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Chubster
Rust Hunter

Postby Chubster » 27 Aug 2020 16:11

The picture link is from the Facebook page of the Triumph wedge owners association and the original post is from the US, I posted it as a link so its strange that it only shows the picture(??) There is a drain hole here on my non air con UK Car it may just be the chap has added an additional pipe so it does not drip onto the gearbox. I have copied the link below so lets hope it shows the full thread.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 27 Aug 2020 17:16

Are you going for maximum originality / building a concours car John?