Anonymous

Gearbox tunnel sound deadening - fitting

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Re: Gearbox tunnel sound deadening - fitting

Postby johnnyj » 27 Aug 2020 22:04

Phew, no aircon drain on mine on account of no aircon.

Bushey, the answer is "somewhere inbetween". I have owned the car since I was 25 (51 now) so it has some sentimental value. When I first decided to restore it, my mission was to build the best car I could, and as near to original spec as possible. Back in 1994 nobody wanted FHCs, they were laughed at. Always supporting the underdog I decided to go for it with this one.

When the car is finished, it will be very nice - hopefully one of the best - but there will certainly be others out there which will win competitions ahead of mine. Wherever possible I have re-used the car's original parts, and if I couldn't do that I have bought NOS original spec stuff. Its non-original mods have been stripped out and the original spec researched, and implemented. From memory the only non-standard bits are the door eustachions, speaker grilles and the paint on the door frames (the latter only because I got it wrong - they should be body colour, not black, for this year of car). But I am really proud of how the car is turning out. Just pulling the covers off and seeing the car as it is today makes me smile. That's what it is all about, even if I reflect these days on how, when I was 25, I didn't get the same aches and pains when grovelling under the car as I do now!

Next stop is putting the engine/gearbox back in, and the front screen, then it's done. On that note, and this sounds a bit pathetic but it is true, sadly - I don't have enough mechanically minded friends to help with the engine re-fit and would absolutely love to hear from anyone who might be able to assist. I am in Northants, UK, and would happily pay expenses, ply with tea/fish & chips etc.

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 28 Aug 2020 18:46

Hi John,

I'd been reading your blog for some time but embarrassingly didn't connect it to your posts or ID on the forum! I admire your goal for originality. I'm part way through welding a '94 Mini Cooper that's taken years so far. I agree with your sentiments, it's not one project but hundreds of small ones and walk away when you're not enjoying it, you can always return with a fresh outlook tomorrow, or the next day.

I have a similar connection with my 7. I've had my DHC since 1986 when no TR7's seemed to be fashionable and self converted to V8 with a S and S kit a few years afterwards. I remember the days when wedges flashing each other was a semi regular occurrence.

I fitted my V8 engine gearbox combo from above on my own. I placed the rear end up in the air on the tallest ramps I could find and let almost all of the air out of the front tyres. Gearbox end in at a steep angle, rest it on a trolley-jack, then wheel the combo backwards whilst lowering the engine and the angle on the leveller. IIRC I only had to touch up one mark on the bulkhead. I didn't have the resources to fit the engine, gearbox and subframe from underneath and likewise no one to call upon at the time.

How many weeks away from refitting the engine are you?

Adam

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 28 Aug 2020 20:44

Hi Adam, it sounds like you and I have a similar back-story with our 7s! Thanks for reading the blog, although I am ashamed to say I haven't updated it for ages. In my defence, I have been out of the country quite a bit but will certainly get back on it.

The engine is ready to go in right now (well, not literally), as it is re-built and waiting. I hope to God it runs, though. My biggest fear is putting it back in to find that I did something incorrectly in the rebuild. Once the engine and 'box are back in, the car is finished. Pretty much. Just the minor (!) jobs of fitting the front screen and finding/fitting the prop. Oh, then putting the stickers on and washing it.

Thanks for the hints on refitting, very useful. Do you think it is best to fit all components to the engine off the car, or in situ? I am thinking manifold, carbs, starter etc.

BTW, I took the plunge and used short self-tappers to refit the gearbox heat/sound board and it went fine.

All the best (and I promise to update the blog soon) :oops:

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 29 Aug 2020 08:42

I was able to remove the 2.0L engine and gearbox from above complete with carbs, exhaust manifold, starter etc as per Mr Haynes fairly easily, (I didn't expect the front suspension to rise as much as it did when lifting the engine - hence the air out of the front tyres) so I reckon it should go back with the ancillaries on as easily as the V8 that replaced it. I thought it was easier to fit stuff, tubular manifolds apart, to the engine on the stand than from underneath

An engine leveller was an absolute must for me. It made it much easier to avoid contact with the front panel or bulkhead as the gearbox end rolled backwards on the trolley jack.

I needed the ability to roll the car backwards and forwards due to limited garage space, so engine in from above was my only option as I needed the running gear in place.

I was also worried about potential engine issues once in place. I fired it up before fitting the propshaft, exhaust and cooling system just in case......... :D

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 29 Aug 2020 13:21

I personally don't strife for originality, sometimes because parts are just not available or way to expensive.
But also because I strongly believe that a car is a personal statement. And I don't do standard :mrgreen:
So period (looking) upgrades etc. for me please!

johnnyj wrote: ... Just pulling the covers off and seeing the car as it is today makes me smile. That's what it is all about ...

That indeed is the most important thing. It's your car and yours to enjoy!
I still get that feeling when I pull the cover of one of my cars to go out for a drive :wink:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 01 Sep 2020 07:52

I agree Theo. My car is all about originality, but only to about 80%. It has sentimental value, and some of its quirks relate to its history which I didn't want to erase. There are little details here and there, probably which only I will notice, which hark back to specific incidents. When rebuilding the engine, I very nearly put the old dented sump back on, because running over the fan pulley in Italy in 1994 was a big memory for the car! But that would have been a step too far, although I couldn't bring myself to throw away the dented sump and it is now in my garage as a souvenir. So in truth the car I am striving for is my old car, but put back to what it deserves.

Here are some photos so far - nearly there! (car is on stands at the moment, hence the height).

John
Attachments
20200817_151107.jpg
20200817_151107.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
20200829_104246.jpg
20200829_104246.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
20200829_104131.jpg
20200829_104131.jpg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 01 Sep 2020 14:26

Looks lovely 8)
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/