Anonymous

Speedo not working

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Lagodude
Wedgling

Speedo not working

Postby Lagodude » 27 Mar 2020 13:20

Hi guys,
The speedometer on my TR7 FI has not worked since I purchased it. I replaced the 2 piece cable with a single cable. Tested the speedometer with the new cable and a drill and the meter work fine. Yet, when installed (bypassing the counter) the meter does not register speed and the O2 sensor light is on. Any idea what may be wrong?
Thanks for the suggestions

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Speedo not working

Postby Cobber » 27 Mar 2020 13:27

They can be a shit of a thing, my guess is, that the core of the cable hasn't engaged into the speedo properly
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 27 Mar 2020 13:56

You should pull the speedo end of the cable and see if it is turning when you drive the car. If it is turning pinch the end of the cable as it turns to make sure that it is not slipping.

The O2 sensor will stay on till you reset the trip counter under the hood or disconnect the wires from the counter.

There is a "key" that several of the vendors sell to reset the counter but all it is is a piece of flat metal with a notch in the end that allows the two nubs to engage the reset drum.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

Lagodude
Wedgling

Postby Lagodude » 27 Mar 2020 15:46

Thanks for the input.
I have driven it with the speedo cable disconnected at speedo end, the cable does not turn.
Could it be the gear?
Thanks

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 27 Mar 2020 19:33

Is it a US car with the service counter? I think these sometimes give trouble in the service counter 'box', might be worth opening it and having a look.
If it does not have that it might be the drive gear in the gearbox, they are plastic IIRC.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC