Anonymous

Timing adjust

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Mmoodd
Wedgling

Timing adjust

Postby Mmoodd » 26 Mar 2020 20:33

Can everybody check my thought process
Since fitting electronic ignition things are two degrees out it fires ok and runs ok
Problem I have is that the distributor is on max adjustment ie it is hard over on adjustment
I presume I have to set no 1 at tdc remove the dist and replace Centrally to give adjustment
Comments or guidance welcome

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Timing adjust

Postby Cobber » 26 Mar 2020 23:26

If you've run outta adjustment you are probably one tooth out
Turn the engine to TDC # 1 cyl.
With the dissy cap removed note where the rotor is pointing (suggest taking a pic). Carefully remove the dissy without turning it, as you pull out the dissy, the rotor will turn as it has a helical cut gear.
Once the dissy drive gear is disengaged do not allow it to turn within the dissy. Take note of where its pointing now that its disengaged from the drive.
Assuming that you have managed to do this without any unnecessary rotation, put the dissy back in but with the whole dissy at @ 10 degrees (in the desired direction) from where you started.
This is a quick way of doing it, but not always easy to manage. If you cock it up then you start again,useing the procedure in the workshop manual.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 27 Mar 2020 14:05

Also make sure that the sensor is aligned/centered correctly. it should be in line with any one of the distributor cap contacts when the motor is at TDC, or at least very close.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma C

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 27 Mar 2020 19:24

HDRider wrote:Also make sure that the sensor is aligned/centered correctly. it should be in line with any one of the distributor cap contacts when the motor is at TDC, or at least very close.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma C

Depends on the electronic system fitted. With Pertronix the sensor is screwed to the plate in place of the points and picks up the cam lobes. There is no trigger wheel. The timing is adjusted in the normal way by turning the distributor.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Mmoodd
Wedgling

Postby Mmoodd » 28 Mar 2020 09:34

Thanks for your comments They’ve given me confidence to tackle the job
It is a Petronix unit hence need to adjust distributor

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 28 Mar 2020 13:34

Your right I was thinking of a Crane unit.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA