Anonymous

Triumph TR7 - Caliper bolt settings (Princess 4-pot)

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
tr7v8mike
Wedgling

Triumph TR7 - Caliper bolt settings (Princess 4-pot)

Postby tr7v8mike » 08 Oct 2019 08:17

Hi there,
I am re-assembling the front calipers (Princess four pot) after a re-build and cannot find the torsion wrench settings for the bolts that hold the two halves together. Does anyone know or should I just set the wrench to "bloody tight"?

I know this question has been asked ad nauseum but does anyone know the nipple sequence for bleeding?

Cheers

Mike

trsforever
Rust Hunter

Re: Triumph TR7 - Caliper bolt settings (Princess 4-pot)

Postby trsforever » 08 Oct 2019 23:32

Hi Mike, if you have the correct high tensile bolts 3/8 UNF 40lb ft (60nm) should be ok. as for bleeding its really personal preference, I always start at the furthest wheel from the master cyl and the lowest nipple( air rises), have your calipers been cross drilled eg only one feed pipe, if they have the port nearest the caliper mounting bolt should have a bleed nipple as well and the other is the feed pipe/fluid inlet.
I would start on the outer centre, then inner centre then top outer and then nearest feed pipe same on the other side wheel leave it a while to settle and then a recheck preferably with some-one pumping up the pedal 3x pumps then holding the pressure until you open the nipple, the pedal will go down they keep the pedal down until you have the nipple closed and repeat until no air. A clear tube with the end covered by a little fluid in the bottom of bottle helps to stop air being sucked back and you can see if there is any air in the fluid.
Hope this makes sense.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 09 Oct 2019 16:01

Much easier with an EziBleed kit, just make sure the powering tyre pressure is only around 20psi. Also, the master cylinder brake failure switch (on the underside) should be unscrewed for bleeding.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

tr7v8mike
Wedgling

Postby tr7v8mike » 10 Oct 2019 08:51

Thanks Rust, its a vented rotor. I have the right bolts so will crank them up to 60Nm. The calipers, hubs and rotors look very nice with a new zinc coating. The bleeding sequence makes good sense.
Cheers
Michael

tr7v8mike
Wedgling

Postby tr7v8mike » 10 Oct 2019 08:52

Thanks Alan, I didn't know that about the emergency switch. Thanks

alc59
Rust Hunter

Postby alc59 » 14 Oct 2019 19:13

When dursleyman kindly helped me refurbish my Princess calipers, after I refitted them I started bleeding each caliper at the top on the simple principle that air will tend to find its way to the top. Having vented all the air that would come out of the top nipple more or less nothing came out the bottom nipples. All worked well on the road afterwards.

Hope you have similar success
Al