Anonymous

Fitting New Weather Seals (TR7 DHC)

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
rodmarklew
Wedgling

Fitting New Weather Seals (TR7 DHC)

Postby rodmarklew » 12 Nov 2018 16:21

Sadly the summer is well and truly over and now time for some maintenance. Being a car mechanic beginner I am going to try and attempt to replace my perishing rubber outer weatherseals to my DHC running along the top of the door. Being a good boy I have purchased the Clip Tool, the rubber strips, guides etc but before I start any good tips, good pictures of how it should look when done properly?

I was going to remove the door card then drop the window then remove the old strip and replace with the new strip and clips. However, do I need to use glue or sealent to join the weather strip with the Quarter Light seal? - if so, what glue or sealant? To remove old ones, is it scrape the rubber off? etc. As you can tell lots of questions.

If anyone has done this before - a blow by blow account would be appreciated. I am loathed to pay a garage, but as an inexperienced newbie would I would be wise to do so? Anyway, top tips appreciated as well as photos.

Thanks all

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Fitting New Weather Seals (TR7 DHC)

Postby FI Spyder » 13 Nov 2018 14:59

The outer seals are clipped on, not glued. With door card and window removed the old one removed and the new one installed without the tool with just your fingers. If you have thick fingers (I don't) you might need the tool. There are about 6 (don't quote me) clips holding it on. You don't have to glue it where it meets the quarter lite but you do have to trim it so it follows the contours where it mates up. I'm one who believes rather than doing the minimum, do the whole job. Some of my paint on my quarter lite was chipped so I took it out, disassembled it (a rivet or two) removed glass, painted the frame with black trim paint (the correct satin black also used on windscreen finisher and wipers). I cleaned and soaked the quarter lite rubber with Maguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Restorer and reinstalled. I also removed door latch to clean and grease all sliding surfaces. Now is a good time to replace the usually missing rubber tab that keeps the outer door handle flush (I didn't know about it at the time) and outer door handle flange if needed and grease window winder surfaces.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

rodmarklew
Wedgling

Postby rodmarklew » 13 Nov 2018 16:47

Thank you, very helpful - and like you, believe in doing a proper job. If possible, could you share a picture of your window where the seal meets the strip so I can copy - mine is not perfect, so not the best template to follow. Thanks again, Rod.

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 14 Nov 2018 16:11

I struggled with the new weather strips which seem to be much softer and more floppy than the originals. It was difficult to get a nice looking result them. The original ones have some kind of stiffener built into them but the new ones don't.
Luckily now got some good used ones from Steve at S & S so will be fitting those next time I am playing with the doors.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 14 Nov 2018 20:03

rodmarklew wrote: ... could you share a picture of your window where the seal meets the strip ...

A picture I took during the restoration of my DHC:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 15 Nov 2018 15:40

Ideally you want it trimmed a little longer and at an angle to match on forward edge (you usually find out after it's installed) :P . Re original stiffer because that's the way it is or because the rubber is old?
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

rodmarklew
Wedgling

Postby rodmarklew » 16 Nov 2018 14:45

Brilliant - thats a great guide, will attempt this weekend.

Thanks again, and I love the colour of your car.

rodmarklew
Wedgling

Postby rodmarklew » 16 Nov 2018 14:50

one final little ask - just in the garage and looking at the car and the seal at the end of the door, secured by a rivet, could you show a pic of how your rubber connects so to create a perfect seal. :D :D

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 17 Nov 2018 14:10

FI Spyder wrote:Re original stiffer because that's the way it is or because the rubber is old?

The old ones have some kind of internal metal stiffener but the new ones on sale now are floppy rubber only. I found the new ones much more difficult to fit.
Luckily I spotted some good used old ones when I was visiting Steve Wilcox at S&S and bought them before he had a chance to advertise them!
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

darrellw
Swagester

Postby darrellw » 17 Nov 2018 15:29

dursleyman wrote:The old ones have some kind of internal metal stiffener but the new ones on sale now are floppy rubber only. I found the new ones much more difficult to fit.
Luckily I spotted some good used old ones when I was visiting Steve Wilcox at S&S and bought them before he had a chance to advertise them!

The reproductions I used did indeed not have a metal stiffener, but the bottom edge was rigid plastic, so they were no floppy. I don't recall where I bought them, perhaps Rimmer. It is a shame if they are not making that version any more.
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Spike
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Spike » 04 Apr 2019 10:58

I've done one side with the the floppy rubber stuff, not been that happy with it as it doesn't seem to sit as well as the original.

I have found a couple of places (in the UK) that sell semi-rigid ones though. I've not tried these yet though.

https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/waist- ... m-lengths/

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... atherstrip

http://www.automobiletrim.com/window-channel.html (at the bottom)

regards

Graham