Anonymous

Front Shock Gaiter Fitment

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
bonnietiler
Wedge Pilot

Front Shock Gaiter Fitment

Postby bonnietiler » 24 Oct 2018 09:59

Now I'm going to rebuild my front shocks, generally tart them up a bit (technical term)
On having a looksee at the schematics it seems that we fit the Gaiter to the top feed it through the spring and squeeze it over the bumpstop and the damper nut and fasten with a cable tie...
It looks a little tricky as you haver little room to accomplish this
Is there a cunning TR7 Forum wheeze to finish this job?
Any help much appreciated
Brian

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Front Shock Gaiter Fitment

Postby saabfast » 24 Oct 2018 12:32

Sorry to say that, from memory, that's just about what I did. Fiddly but not too bad really.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 26 Oct 2018 17:15

I did mine recently and it was a bit of a fiddle. Took me several goes to sort it out. From memory I had to feed it down through the spring with the bump stop inside and fit the cable tie on the strut body. Then it was possible to assemble the top bearing etc and persuade the gaiter to go into that little groove on the upper spring mounting.
Not easy, but I expect the usual experts will say its a piece of cake!

Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 28 Oct 2018 15:40

Fiddley pretty much describes it. Handy to have a spring hook and hemostat, two of the most important and often used tools in my tool kit.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

MikeRotherham
Rust Hunter

Postby MikeRotherham » 01 Nov 2018 14:43

I used one of these when I did mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-handl ... 2508236991

I fastened the gaitor at the bottom with the cable tie then used the hooked tool to locate the top of the gaitor onto the recess at the top of the strut. Then keeping the tool under the lip of the gaitor pull the tool around the circumference of the recess and ease the remainder of the gaitor into the recess. Hard to explain in words.

If your wife or mother has made rugs in the past they may have one you can borrow