Anonymous

Which electrical furl

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
swordfishdani1960
Scuttle Shaker

Which electrical furl

Postby swordfishdani1960 » 21 Sep 2018 10:19

I am thinking on fitting a new electric fuel pump i have found a supplier here in the uk
ie what about the Low pressure SU replacement carburettor Fuelflow 12v electronic fuel pump 15LM12 , The Fuelflow ECCO™ 15LM12 Diaphragm Pump is loosely styled on the original SU type electric fuel pump. It is a universal replacement fuel pump and has been specifically designed to suit as wide a scope of applications as possible.
The 15LM12 Diaphragm Pump would generally be used as a replacement fuel pump on carburetted vehicles that have 4 – 6 cylinder engines and a fuel requirement of up to 1.5 Litres per minute. Specifications Typically, these vehicles could be described as large cars with larger than average engines and a higher than normal fuel requirement.12 volts
Positive or Negative Earth
1.5 litres per minute flow
3 – 4 psi
Self Regulating
Solid State Electronics

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Which electrical furl

Postby Beans » 21 Sep 2018 19:36

Go for a good quality pump, but check the fuel pressure it delivers first.
Presuming you have SU carburettors you'll need a pump with a fairly low working pressure (approx. 2 psi)
If the pressure is to high you'll need a fuel pressure regulator.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Which electrical furl

Postby Hasbeen » 22 Sep 2018 07:28

I have a New Zealand built 12V fuel pump on my 7, fitted after much frustration with the mechanical pumps supplied here.

It is labelled 2 to 3 PSI, & was recommended by the manufacturer as more suitable for the 7 than their 2 PSI pump. It appears that these quoted pressures are indicative, rather than guaranteed, & they were not sure their 2 PSI pump was adequate.

My pump actually sustains 2.3 PSI with the engine running at idle. At that pressure I get very occasional flooding, indicated by the smell of petrol, & the choke tube on the front carb damp with petrol on some occasions when inspected. By occasional I mean perhaps a whiff of petrol once in 100 kilometres or so.

I have lowered the float level of the front carb by machining 1/10" off the top of its float bowl. I have also machined a taper on the spacer where the float bowl attaches to the main body of the carbs, to bring the front float bowl down, & the rear up as much as possible.

Without these modifications, & using the rubber tipped needles in the float bowls, I doubt I could run as much above the recommended 2.0 PSI pressure, without serious flooding.

Hasbeen