Anonymous

Triumph TR7 Steering Play - Advice wanted

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
swordfishdani1960
Scuttle Shaker

Triumph TR7 Steering Play - Advice wanted

Postby swordfishdani1960 » 23 Jul 2018 08:26

Have replaced track rod ends & ball joints, there's a slight knock when i turn the wheel and play in the steering -the bushes are all good - anyone have any ideas?

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Triumph TR7 Steering Play - Advice wanted

Postby Hasbeen » 23 Jul 2018 12:15

On most 7 racks there are shims under the large nut infront of the box, opposite the pinion. Some late cars have a different system.

There is also a bolt screwed into the centre of this nut. Under this nut there will be some shims. You remove shims to push the pinion closer to the rack as either or both wear. I have only ever removed 5 thou without the steering becoming a bit stiff at full lock, due to less wear at the ends.

Remove the bolt, fit a grease nipple, & pump in grease. Not too much or you will blow the boots off the housing. Spread it from end to end of the rack. The instructions are for 6 strokes of a hand grease gun every 5000 miles.

A clunk could be from a worn or loose universal, the rack itself, or the column clamp to the pinion. If the noise is in the cabin you may need to adjust the clamp position on the column. This is indicated if the steering wheel has some play forward & back.

Have fun,

Hasbeen

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 23 Jul 2018 12:54

The other place to check is the inner end of the track road, where they connect to the rack. With the car off the ground hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and try rocking it. Had to replace my track rods some years ago due to slight play picked up in the MOT.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 23 Jul 2018 21:24

"Bushes are good"

Does that include the steering column bush in the bulkhead? As mine was starting to fracture, the steering would knock and clonk when turning tightly at parking speeds. Replacing the bush cured it.

swordfishdani1960
Scuttle Shaker

Postby swordfishdani1960 » 24 Jul 2018 10:58

Thanks i have checked the Lower steering shaft and joint, theres movement
in that ,i can shake it up and down ,thats where i think the play and
nocking ,is from ,theres movement in that ,the top joint is ok ,this very common on my car ,i have already replaced this 3 times in 15 years ,is this normal ,or has it been bad quaility part ,or maybe as you now the roads are hellesh pot holes ect