Anonymous

Late night surprise

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
HDRider
Swagester

Late night surprise

Postby HDRider » 08 Apr 2018 15:03

So there I was fast asleep at 2:30 in the morning when I awoke to a noise. I walked through the house and soon realized that it was coming from one of the TR7 so, in my bathrobe, I ventured out into the pouring rain to discover that the 1976 TR7 DHC's horn was blowing all on its own. I quickly disconnected the battery and promptly went back to bed.

Yesterday I discovered that the horn relay, which is located in the engine bay, had filled with water and shorted out.

It was hanging by the wires and pointed down with the connector plate facing up. The water must have run down the harness somehow or another. It melted one of the spade connectors right out of the plastic end plate.

I have now attached the new relay by the metal mounting tab with the connector plate facing downward. Hopefully no more late night emergency repairs.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Re: Late night surprise

Postby johnnyj » 08 Apr 2018 20:38

HDRider wrote:So there I was fast asleep at 2:30 in the morning when I awoke to a noise. I walked through the house and soon realized that it was coming from one of the TR7 so, in my bathrobe, I ventured out into the pouring rain to discover that the 1976 TR7 DHC's horn was blowing all on its own. I quickly disconnected the battery and promptly went back to bed.

Yesterday I discovered that the horn relay, which is located in the engine bay, had filled with water and shorted out.

It was hanging by the wires and pointed down with the connector plate facing up. The water must have run down the harness somehow or another. It melted one of the spade connectors right out of the plastic end plate.

I have now attached the new relay by the metal mounting tab with the connector plate facing downward. Hopefully no more late night emergency repairs.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

It's funny what cars will do. I once bought a 1980 TR7 DHC and on the drive back home it kept accelerating all on its own. It was most disconcerting. When I got home I discovered it had some weird after-market cruise control fitted. That went straight in the bin :)
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Re: Late night surprise

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 22 Jun 2018 09:14

Sounds to me like the cars are starting to wake up. Hopefully not anything like a Steven King film lol.