Anonymous

TR7 Engine Rebuild Advice

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Engine Rebuild Advice

Postby Cobber » 08 Apr 2018 06:08

johnnyj wrote:Also, I need to mount my block to my new engine stand, much like the thread here http://tr7triumph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17978 . However I am struggling to find a source for the 5/16 x 3.5 x 24 TP bolts. Can anyone suggest a UK supplier?

Thanks

John

If you can't find the bolts in the right length, then maybe you can get hold of what's known here in Oz as "all thread", it's threaded steel rod.
You can cut to suit, then screw it into the block and then use nuts and washers to secure it to the stand.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 08 Apr 2018 10:15

Thanks Cobber. Actually I thought I had some of that knocking about, but couldn't find it. Typical, eh?

These bolts appear to be quite difficult to find, but I did manage to trace some online so when they arrive I'll report back to to whether they fit.

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 08 Apr 2018 10:16

Thanks Beans, that's great.
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 08 Apr 2018 10:18

Again, thanks for the info beans. That one looks nice and glossy inside, but I was thinking more about the outside. :lol:

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 08 Apr 2018 12:42

Same paint used inside and outside by the factory as far as I know
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 08 Apr 2018 15:05

Not sure about your situation in UK but here I just go to an industrial fastener supplier. They have (or can get) every size available. We used to have two in 'lil old Duncan but Fastenal stopped selling to the public unless you had a GST number as they were supposed to be wholesale and the government cracked down on them for selling without collecting the tax on public sales (which probably amounted to .0006% of sales) . There is only one size I found hard to get which is metric and not usually used (can't remember off hand #7?) although you see it in tap and die sets. I don't know if you have similar type companies in you corner of the world or if they can get your specific application piece.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 08 Apr 2018 20:30

Hi John,

It is my understanding that the head studs/bolts are not reusable as they stretch when torqued down. On the subject of the internal surface of the engine, I would have thought it was a bad idea to apply paint as any that came loose could potentially block oilways.

Just my humble opinion.

Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 08 Apr 2018 20:50

Rich K wrote:Hi John,

It is my understanding that the head studs/bolts are not reusable as they stretch when torqued down. On the subject of the internal surface of the engine, I would have thought it was a bad idea to apply paint as any that came loose could potentially block oilways.

Just my humble opinion.

Rich.

Thanks Rich. To be honest I hadn't even considered that the inside would be painted, so it was a surprise to learn (above) that it was. Given that everything will be protected by oil sloshing about, I won't be painting the interior but will definitely clean out all of the oil and water ways.

The engine is now stripped and all the parts meticulously bagged and labelled, but I am a bit stumped as to what to do next. I'm not sure what to measure in terms of bearing tolerance, valve seat recession etc. Gosh I wish I was one of the old school engine builders who just knows this stuff. I need "TR7 Engine Yoda" to help me :)

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 08 Apr 2018 21:12

Rich K wrote: ... It is my understanding that the head studs/bolts are not reusable as they stretch when torqued down ...

These engines don't have stretch bolts, like modern engines so safe to re-use if in good condition
Rich K wrote: ... I would have thought it was a bad idea to apply paint as any that came loose could potentially block oilways ...

As for the paint on the inside, that's probably down to the wonderful ways of British Leyland :mrgreen:
On the other hand you can see that the paint was applied very well as there's no sign of any peeled of paint.
And it gives a good indication what kind of paint was applied!
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

skertonman
Scuttle Shaker

Postby skertonman » 08 Apr 2018 22:13

In a former life I stripped many Leyland engines (admittedly not that many Triumph's) as well as other manufacturers, and don't recall any being painted on the inside.

What would be the purpose be to paint it internally, surely not for anti corrosion, not to make it look good for the buyer, and why waste the time and money?

darrellw
Swagester

Postby darrellw » 09 Apr 2018 01:11

skertonman wrote:What would be the purpose be to paint it internally, surely not for anti corrosion, not to make it look good for the buyer, and why waste the time and money?

I've seen some claims about painting the inside of the block to increase flow of the oil back to the sump. I'm not sure I buy it, but it is almost always mentioned in regards to Glyptal paint.
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 09 Apr 2018 12:10

Porus castings is the usual reason for internal painting.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 10 Apr 2018 02:35

Paint on the inside of a crank case, the last desperate attempt to keep the oil INSIDE a British engine. :D

I have no idea, but when I repaired the fuel tank on one of my 7as, the only internal rusty bit was the narrow strip in the bottom front, where any water lies. On the rest the original grey surface coating was still perfect.

Hasbeen

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 12 Apr 2018 20:49

Great discussion here folks..

Still looking for my online TR7 engine Yoda. :) I have loads of pics of the stripdown but I don't want to bog everyone down with them. Likewise I don't entirely know what I need to do next i.e. what to check etc. Measuring tolerances, checking the robustness of shells, bearings etc...what to do?

Thanks folks

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 13 Apr 2018 02:39

Check the cam follower buckets for straight. They usually turn into a fat lady shape, fat in the middle then rock.

Hasbeen