Anonymous

Dismantled the LUCAS indicator stalk..ahh..yes...HELP

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
bonnietiler
Wedge Pilot

Dismantled the LUCAS indicator stalk..ahh..yes...HELP

Postby bonnietiler » 16 Mar 2018 15:49

So..my indicators have given up the ghost so..I decided to strip the stalk...how hard can it be...
Right then..I have a variety of bits that are relatively obvious where they should go but what about the copper bar and the ball bearing??
Any help much MUCH appreciated
Cheers
Bonnietiler

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Dismantled the LUCAS indicator stalk..ahh..yes...HELP

Postby Beans » 16 Mar 2018 18:24

Any pictures maybe :?:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 17 Mar 2018 12:29

I thought I had a photo of the innards but it's the inside of the wiper stalk / switch. Releasing that casing opens up a new world of pain when the copper spring flies out and the bits drop out.

The only thing I could find on the interweb on a BL wiper switch was this Lucas Mini item being rebuilt on YouTube. Maybe the insides aren't too dissimilar like the copper bar. Hope it helps. (2 minutes in) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxr2NyUJ_Fo

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 18 Mar 2018 11:35

Having once worked on the synchros in the Moss [XK120 Jag] sourced gearbox in the 60s +4 Morgans, I took my indicator switch apart in a large cardboard box, with all the flaps taped down. Thus even after the SPRONG I had all the bits, but no idea of how to put the thing back together.

Still the original SPRONG did give me some idea of how to get one apart with out the SPRONG. I bought a second switch from the local Triumph bloke, & managed to get it apart without bits flying everywhere.

As it felt that the force required to move the leaver was putting too much stress on age brittle plastic, I cut 3/4Th of a turn off each spring & reassembled the cleaned item. That was over 15 years ago, & it is still working happily.

Unfortunately I did not take any photos, & being 15 years ago, I now have no memory of how it goes together. SORRY.

Hasbeen