Anonymous

Front spring stripe colour.

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
supercass
Swagester

Front spring stripe colour.

Postby supercass » 08 Feb 2018 12:27

The posting on the front poly bump stops caused me to carry out a little research. A few months ago I obtained what I believed to be a set of nos standard front springs for the later model. They are identified by a darkish green stripe. They are otherwise black. However I have come across some very confusing and conflicting information that suggests that the standard springs for the front should have a red stripe. Is anyone able to advise? Thanks. supercass
Last edited by supercass on 08 Feb 2018 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Front spring stripe colour.

Postby FI Spyder » 08 Feb 2018 15:10

My original springs had red stripes (although that may have been on the back springs as I don't specifically remember a colour on the front). I replaced the front springs with original spring rates I can't specifically recall if they had a paint stripe or not but they definitely weren't green.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

REPLIC8
Wedgista

Postby REPLIC8 » 08 Feb 2018 16:34

My standard late UK spec car had a dark green stripe on the front springs and the rears had a red and a white stripe. :D

Andy
1981 Triton Green TR7 FHC (low mileage standard Solihull car)
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 FHC (awaiting restoration/upgrading)

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 08 Feb 2018 18:04

Tx for your replies, it looks like my purchase is to original spec and genuine nos items.
If I just replace the front springs am I likely to have a ride height issue due to the rears having settled. My view is that since I have the nos front springs and am having to replace the front dampers (which are the original ones) I may as well fit the new springs at the same time as there is no more work involved. Having said that the existing springs are quite serviceable and in good condition, so should I just adopt an " if it ain't broke don't mend it" attitude?
supercass

REPLIC8
Wedgista

Postby REPLIC8 » 08 Feb 2018 20:31

Mine is still on it's original springs and is just fine. It not done many miles (13000) but it's still been sitting on them 37 years. I've replaced the shock absorbers, and all the rubber bushes with NOS standard items. It sits nice and drives lovely. :)

Andy
1981 Triton Green TR7 FHC (low mileage standard Solihull car)
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 FHC (awaiting restoration/upgrading)

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 09 Feb 2018 02:22

In Oz most of us are inclined to have our existing springs reset & retempered by a spring maker, rather than replace them. Perhaps the fact that our springs don't suffer from rust may be the reason.

I could never figure out why, but my current 7 was 1.5 inches higher at the back than standard, & my other 7s. I actually swapped springs between it & another with stock ride height, which made no change. I had the front springs reset 3/4" lower, & a set of 30% stiffer anti roll bars made.

As I could not figure out a reason for the ride height I took the car to the spring makers, told them the ride height I wanted, & let them figure out on their computer how high to set the springs.

That was 2002, my springs are stock rate, but lowered 3/4", with stiffer roll bars, & shocks with stock bump, but 20% higher rebound. Nothing has changed in 16 years & 70,000 kilometres.

I can only wonder why UK cars suffer from sagging springs, when none of my cars have.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 09 Feb 2018 07:15

Hasbeen wrote: ... I can only wonder why UK cars suffer from sagging springs, when none of my cars have ...

Probably because you're upside down, Down Under :mrgreen:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 09 Feb 2018 11:47

They haven't stretched either. :D

Hasbeen