Anonymous

Drivers side interior light issue

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Drivers side interior light issue

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 10 Nov 2017 20:23

My drivers side door light is not coming on, but the passenger's side is all fine. I have checked with the multi meter and on the drivers side I am getting between 1 and 6v but on the passenger side I am getting 13v. I followed the cable to a 5 pin clip in the drivers footwear and the bottom right pin is one ly giving 1 to 6v. So it is not an easy fix with replacing the cables feom the footwear, through the door.

The cable going to the bottom right pin is black and white, but this goes into the wrapped up wire's behind the dash and I loose track of it.

Does anyone know the weak points of this cable and where I could look for issues? If not I am thinking to feed the pin with another permantly live feed as taking the whole of the dash out seems a bit of a pain.

I was initially thinking a fuse but if that was the case I would not even get a small reading.

Steve @ SandS
Wedge Pilot

Re: Drivers side interior light issue

Postby Steve @ SandS » 11 Nov 2017 10:58

there are 3 wires going to the door light and the light itself has 2 connections on one side and one on the other

purple which is the live goes to the single connector
purple/white which earths the light through the door switch and the black which is earth go to the 2 on the other side

why you have a black/white wire there is anybody's guess but that sounds like a speaker wire.
Steve @ S&S Preparations
www.ss-preparations.co.uk

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 11 Nov 2017 11:03

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. The wire I was talking about coos from the loom wires behind the dash and go into the 5 pin plug before the connector goes to the wired to the door itself.

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 11 Nov 2017 17:36

Try pulling the door switch and cleaning the contacts.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 11 Nov 2017 23:29

Checked the contacts of the 5 pin plug and the multimeter is telling me that the feed is the issue as only getting around 5 volts to the switch. From what I can see it is the feed that is the issue as I tried more than one earth and all results were the same. The wire is wrapped up so it is hard to follofollow it. If I can find another connector for this cable, i can follow it even further and check the multimeter reading. Working my way to The source and find the issue.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 14 Nov 2017 02:47

It looks like the easiest course of action would be to branch off at the plug and put another perm. Live feed into it. This way I will not have to try and trace the existing cable all the way to the source. Also it will all be covered up by the dash.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 14 Nov 2017 15:34

That way will get it working as a temporary fix but better to find and correct the actual problem. Many of us (fortunately mine is original and working) have run PO wiring bodges when trying to run down electrical problems and it is tempting to do the "quick fix" but finding the real problem and fixing it gets the real sense of satisfaction. If that means taking off the dash to get at/trace wires, that provides the opportunity to clean all connectors under there right down to cleaning the copper oxide off the instrument plastic circuit strip and all bulb contacts. Not something you would want to do mid season, more of an off season job as it is time consuming but then you only have to do it once.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 14 Nov 2017 21:00

I will be checking the wiring diagram tonight to see if I can check the source of the wire without the need to take it all apart. I am sure it is just a clip or something like that but tracking it down will be the fun bit.

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 15 Nov 2017 21:15

Fuse 9 feeding horn bootlamp and others share the same wire,could help narrow it down.Steve...

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 16 Nov 2017 15:32

Since one side works and the other doesn't it would have to be somewhere after it branches off.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 17 Nov 2017 05:24

You should be glad that there is one side of the car that you can't accidentally turn that damn door light on, as you get out of the car.

After my third event of finding my 7 with a flat battery, because the light had been knocked, & turned on as I left the car, I disconnected mine for ever.

Best bit of modification I have done on a Triumph, & completely successful.

Hasbeen

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 17 Nov 2017 23:04

I will be down in the garage this weekend and will try to locate the wire origins. The fuse point 9 is a good start but before I think it may be where it branches off (as mentioned).

Lol currently it feels like there are a hundred and one jobs to do on my car.. I have a set of float needles on their way and will also do the fuel lines while I am at it. Just one of many jobs lol.

Can see what you mean Hasbeen, I sometimes wish our cars (well the fhc) had the early style light at the back on the later cars too.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 07 Dec 2017 02:09

I have been looking around the car trying to track down the driver’s door light issue. Over the weekend I replaced one of the bulbs on the Illumination Strip. While I was messing with it I I checked that everything was still working as expected. Three out of the four were all OK, however the fog lights did not come on. After a bit of messing I managed to get the rear fog light to come on, but not the front ones. This is strange as usually the front ones always come on and the back ones are the issue.

While I was flicking the two stage fog stitch, I noticed that both the door lights would come on, be it very dim. Turn the fog switch on and both door lights go on and turn it off and both go off.

My thought is either a bad earth or a cable issue somewhere. Has anyone heard of this before or have any idea where I should look to reduce my initial searching?

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 09 Dec 2017 11:55

Yep.......sounds like a crap earth to me
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.