Anonymous

Valve checking adjustment

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
swordfishdani1960
Scuttle Shaker

Valve checking adjustment

Postby swordfishdani1960 » 10 Oct 2017 20:20

Can anybody tell me Valve clearance ,adjustment, shims sizes
order of valves , 1 to 8 i.e. inlet outlet from pullie to rear of engine
these have never been done in my tr7
thanks ,slight Tappet noise

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Valve checking adjustment

Postby saabfast » 10 Oct 2017 22:30

Valve clearances (from Haynes):
Inlet: 0.008" (0.20mm)
Exhaust: 0.018" (0.457mm)
Check with cam lobe peak in the vertical position, inlet and exhaust cams should follow the manifold tract positions as far as I am aware (not checked the valves yet on mine!).
Probably easiest to measure and calculate the correction required, then contact one of the usual suspects (Robsport, S&S etc) for thickness availability. They may grind them to suit.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 11 Oct 2017 02:55

From memory it runs from the front, In, Ex, Ex, In, In, Ex, Ex, In. It is totally obvious which valve applies to which port with the rocker cover off.

Just remember to reverse the sign, when figuring out what size replacement shims you need. Adding thickness to the shim reduces the valve clearance. It is very simple, but so many people tie themselves in knots when calculating shim thickness required, it must be some sort of mental block.

Be careful when taking the cam follower buckets out. The shims usually stick to the top of the bucket as you remove them, then fall out & roll into another dimension, when they get the chance.

Remember to use the rule of 9. Measure the clearance of No1, when No 8 is fully down, 2 when 7 & 3 when 6 is down Etc.

We are extremely lucky here in Queensland Oz with shims. Doug Tunstall offers an exchange service. You send in the shims you need to change, with a list of what you need, he sends you back what you need, & charges a small service fee.

If all else fails Saab shims can be made to suite.

Hasbeen

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 11 Oct 2017 09:47

In case it hasn't been mentioned before - check the buckets are all still straight when you have them out. They can warp in the middle so hold two up to eachother before re-using them. Also, you've got to be certain there isn't a high lift cam in there otherwise the exhaust valve tappet gap needs to be nine thousandths of an inch and not eighteen. Unlikely though.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk