Anonymous

replacement rear parcel shelf

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Re: replacement rear parcel shelf

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 26 Jul 2017 21:29

MikeRotherham wrote:In the event of a traffic accident, God forbid it should ever happen, would you want your head coming into contact with it?

There is enough other bits of the interior that are hard and unforgiving as well that I don't want to smack my head on either that I wouldn't worry about it.

Modern cars have airbags, abs, traction control, crumple zones etc so perhaps we should not drive these old death traps :wink: It doesn't bother me personally, after all my other old vehicle has no seat belts, single circuit drum brakes etc so even less safe.
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 27 Jul 2017 08:35

Hmmmn. I don't think many other cars are as good as a TR7 in a crash. Certainly not when it comes to crumple zones and leaving the cockpit safety area undistorted. Airbags have killed many people around the world now owing to them going off for no reason so I'm not exactly the biggest fan of those things.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 27 Jul 2017 15:20

John_C wrote:Airbags have killed many people around the world now owing to them going off for no reason so I'm not exactly the biggest fan of those things.

Not exactly for no reason. The desiccant powder used to keep the explosive powder dry deteriorates turning them into bombs so when the go off bits of metal flies in your face killing you or maiming you. Millions of them out there, manufacturer Takata declared bankruptcy leaving car manufacturers around the world holding the bag (so to speak). Non of my cars have air bags, don't look forward to the day.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Spectatohead
Swagester

Postby Spectatohead » 28 Jul 2017 19:54

Then there was the Takata airbag recall. Our '06 Subaru Outback was part of this. I had a rep at Subaru tell me not to let anyone ride in the passenger seat until it was fixed. Meanwhile someone at the dealer said it was fine. Unfortunately, there weren't enough of the new airbags to go around and we were put on a waiting list. Several months later I happened to be doing some work at a new Subaru dealer that was just starting up. I slipped on some ice while walking back to my car for a break and landed on my backside. I just happened to be driving the Subaru, which is normally my wife's car, because of the snow and ice. Anyway, a couple of the sales reps and managers saw me fall and then were all over me making sure I was okay, or making sure I wasn't going to sue them. They wanted to know if there was anything they could do for me. Well, since you're asking. I need a new airbag. Well since they were just starting up they had some in stock. Turns out there was a recall on the engine ECU too. So, not only did we finally get the airbag replaced the car ran better too. It's really bad when something that is supposed to protect you is really just a bomb waiting to kill or injure you. No substitute for a good seat belt, which you need to wear even with the airbags.
Jim Clark
'80 TR8
'06 G35 Sedan 6MT

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 09 Aug 2017 01:34

The rear parcel shelf on my car has been an ongoing project of mine now for a few years. Simply due to the fact that there have always been other more important jobs that pop up, that needs my attention. However, I plan to get it done though this year (I have said that for a few years;-))

When I got my car the rear shelf had holes in it where speakers were, the inside corners were all broken and the vinyl was all blistering and coming off. In general in a very bade state. So I took off all the old vinyl (as I did not want to keep that) and then set about fixing it. I have used fibreglass on the back to give support to areas that need it and I have some board that I will be using to cover up the old speaker holes. These will be secures in place by a strip of fibreglass too. Then to fill in all the holes and cracks on the front, I have and will use filler then sand it smooth. This will give ne the naked board to work with.

The other rear panel behind the seats I have already covered in black acoustic carpet. It looks really good and is both warm and smooth to the touch. My plan is to use this carpet to cover the rear parcel shelf. I have spray contact glue from Robsport. However, the pits in the shelf were giving me area for concern as it could not be done in one whole strip of carpet. It would need to be trimmed and tailored line the cover in Beans picture. Looking at just the corner of your picture Bean I see that it has been done different to how I was thinking, with the longer bits on one side and she shorter ones on other side. If you can I would like to see the whole of your shelf so I can see how it has been fitted and such like. I am sure this will help me fit mine better. The other thing I am worried about is on yours the stitching works as the material is tough enough to hold it. In the carpet I am using, I am not too sure it I will be able to stitch it in the corners, so I was looking for something to hold it all together, like a end cover.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 09 Aug 2017 01:36

The inside of my car is going through a colour transformation. I am going from the old tan to black all over. I have done the carpets, the rear panel, doing the rear shelf and have new black door cards. Only need the seat covers now and all is done and she sure looks fresher.

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 10 Aug 2017 17:04

Probably no sure way of telling until you try but I think you may be able to cover it without joins if you used four way stretch carpet.
supercass

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

TR7 replacement rear parcel shelf

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 11 Aug 2017 03:58

Four way stretch carpet, that is a new one on me Supercass :D

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 11 Aug 2017 22:51

Typically used for lining camper vans and similar. Used with contact adhesive, you would probably need heat resistant adhesive for the parcel shelf. Very easy to use and achieve a professional finish. Generally comes in a limited range of colours but readily available in black. Believe it is made from polypropylene. Available from ebay or similar and camper van suppliers. supercass