Anonymous

Strange windscreen wiper problem

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
bonnietiler
Wedge Pilot

Strange windscreen wiper problem

Postby bonnietiler » 10 Jul 2017 09:12

Everything is working fine has done for 4500miles this year...but...
Today taking Grand kid to school and I have a strange wiper glitch.
If I turn them on they work fine for about 15 seconds then they will not turn off using the stalk unless I stop the car and turn off the ignition then restart.
But then the problem repeats itself very quickly.
The intermittent wipe works for a few seconds then it makes little difference where the stalk is they are on permanently the only use that the stalk has is that the faster speed still operates but other than that no matter where the stalk is they are on unless I stop and turn off the ignition but then as soon as I start the wipers the same rigmarole begins again.
Any help at all?

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Re: Strange windscreen wiper problem

Postby littlepippin » 10 Jul 2017 10:46

From memory, there is a microswitch scewed on to the underside of the wiper motor "gearbox" this switch is operated by a nylon slider that works off the worm drives sliding action.
With the cover off the gearbox, you can check for a small round metal connector type peice which links to the nylon slider - this in my case was broken/split. I soldered it together, and no more wiper parking problems
Sorry this description is a bit vague, but I do remember I did it all without removing the whole mechanism, only unbolting the motor from the bodwork, and disconnecting the wiring.
Careful, the wiring and connector may, like mine, be fragile and easy to break...

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Jul 2017 20:57

I had the same problem as pippin (I had cracked the tab when I had everything out to clean and regrease). I had to reinforce with a strap of copper soldered over the crack as soldering alone didn't hold. The microswitch position is adjustable by loosening the mounting screw (it's in a slot). Trial and error, has to be in a certain range for everything to work.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 11 Jul 2017 08:45

This is a common TR7 problem. After years of trying everything the ultimate solution was a cut-off switch under the dash so that I can cut the power if the damned things don't ever want to stop. Leave the power off for a while and then the stalk switch actually works again... until the next time.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 11 Jul 2017 23:15

Mine did exactly the same, If you just do a single wipe it's fine but if you have it wiping constantly then it won't park. On mine it was the plastic bit that works the microswitch getting stuck in the old sticky grease. Cleaned it all out and a light coat of white grease sorted it.
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...