Anonymous

Radiator hose dripping

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Traindriver69
Wedgling

Radiator hose dripping

Postby Traindriver69 » 26 Jun 2017 13:09

Hi all

I have an issue with my 2.0l TR7 where the top right radiator hose is dripping coolant out of the end of the hose.

I brought the car last year and discovered that it was leaking badly from there so I replaced the hose thinking it was that but it turned out that the radiator top hose inlet was leaking and required soldering which I had done and I thought all was well.

But now it seems to drip coming out of the end of the hose itself when it is warm but if I remove the filler cap to release the preasure the drip stops until it builds up again.
I have replaced the clips to see if it was that but no good.

I got the hose from robsport are the hoses from there ok as I was thinking could it be a faulty one or are there better ones to go for.

Many thanks in advance

dursleyman
TRiffic

Re: Radiator hose dripping

Postby dursleyman » 26 Jun 2017 18:39

Unlikely to be the hose, I should check you got a good seal if you have soldered the rad outlet pipe. Its difficult to get a good run with the solder unless it was perfectly clean.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 26 Jun 2017 19:19

To start with, did you pressure test the radiator after the repair? That will prevent a lot of searching.

It could also be a leak between hose and radiator pipe. Caused by a clip that wasn't tight enough.
I always check re-tighten them when the engine's still warm. But beware that you don't over-tighten them.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Traindriver69
Wedgling

Postby Traindriver69 » 26 Jun 2017 19:33

I had the radiator soldered at a proper place that just deals in radiator repairs and he pressure tested it afterwards. I have tried a couple of Jubilee clips but don't make any difference

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 27 Jun 2017 13:30

Try a few wraps of the pink thick thread tape around the fitting. Grease with petroleum jelly or rubber grease to help slide the hose over without displacing it. This will take up quite a bit of ovality, & may seal where straight on the pipe won't.

Hasbeen

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 27 Jun 2017 21:35

Cycle inner tube also works well.Steve.