Anonymous

cam/rocker cover gasket

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
smoking joe
Scuttle Shaker

cam/rocker cover gasket

Postby smoking joe » 25 May 2017 19:58

Well what is the secret then !

I changed the gasket soon after I bought the car so 3 plus years ago, recently it developed a leak mid way
along facing the carbs, tried tightening the screws, but it was beyond that. Last weekend I carefully
cleaned off the remains of the old, on cover and head, using loctite gasket dressing I stuck it to the cover,
clothes pegged it on for 1hr before fitting to car. Then using dressing again fitted to car, made point of
not tightening screws too much, but after 3 days it leaks, same place w........

Plus the gasket was from a main supplier and installer, but it seems too long in real terms, main issue going around the
bends to the wider section, is this normal.

Any advice welcome.

SJ

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Re: cam/rocker cover gasket

Postby sonscar » 25 May 2017 21:41

I thought the screws were designed to apply the correct seal when fully tightened by their design?.Steve

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 25 May 2017 22:10

The screws should not be tightened too hard as that distorts the cam cover. It may be that you cover is already distorted so it does not tighten down properly. Try taking it off and placing on a flat surfaced (glass table is ideal if no one is watching).
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 26 May 2017 02:11

Cork like any wood expands when it is soaked, or has a high moisture content.

In our damp climate they are often too big to fit the cover. I have found that putting it in the oven for an hour or 2 on low heat will usually shrink them enough to fit the cover.

Hasbeen

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 26 May 2017 19:57

Without Hasbeen's solution they normally tend to be too big (just barely fitting). As mentioned if cover isn't flat it won't seal. There should be oil resistant rubber o rings under the screw head washers or it will leak from there. Only the thinnest amount of gasket sealer is needed on the surface that meets the cover. I use a spray on gasket sealer to get an even coat. As it is tacky, it holds the gasket in place as you turn the cover right side up to install. Never had to clothes pin it to let it dry.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 27 May 2017 00:33

This picture might explain why the cam cover has a tendency to leak (look at the imprint on the bottom edge in the picture) ...
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

lgray001
Wedgling

Postby lgray001 » 28 May 2017 03:37

I used the poly cam cover gasket. One thing to be noted, the top two fasteners that mate with the cam journal studs should have new neoprene gaskets, too. Also make sure to use gasket sealer on the two rubber 1/2 moon seals on each end of the head.

Of course, I haven't fired the engine yet, so I don't know it this will work better then the cork gasket.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 01 Jun 2017 05:09

I changed my gasket a few months ago as I had a leak from it. My leak was coming from the bottom corner by the fan, so of it had to come. When I got my gasket I too noticed that it was too big and did not fit. Mine too on the top corners did not fit correct. I checked my cover on a flat surface too and it was all OK.

At the time I did not know about the oven idea (as per Hasbeens’s comments). So I too used clips to hold it in place while the line of gasket sealer set. This did the trick and held it in place. Since I have had it fitted the leaks have gone. I also put some sealant on the half-moons (both surfaces) to be sure. The only issue is that I have to take it off soon to check the gap on the valves. At least next time, I have the tricks to make it an easier job.

I tried the silicone gaskets and I just could not get on with it at all. For me it was too big and unlike the cork ones it would not shrink when dried out. Also when I fitted it and tried to take it off, the thing split. Even though you are meant to be able to put it on and take it off as much as you want. I know most have got good stories about the silicone ones, but no way will I go back to them. Cork for me is the way to go.