Anonymous

No starting and no click

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

No starting and no click

Postby Monkeyzak » 10 Apr 2017 18:57

Hi

Came back from a weeks holiday. Car won't start. Not even a click

Any suggestions?

Ta

stevie_a
TRemendous

Re: No starting and no click

Postby stevie_a » 10 Apr 2017 19:23

1. Put side lights on ---- Do they work ? of not ------- its the battery

2. Put side lights on -- try to start car do the lights go off? ------- its the battery

3. Put the radio on does it work ------ of not ------- its the battery

I think you get the point :lol: :lol: :lol:

If lights stay on and radio ok, small wire with spade connection at starter motor
If it's not broke don't fix it.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Apr 2017 20:01

If your battery is good (just measuring voltage isn't enough hence procedures above), there are some critical connections I've found, sometimes they produce a click sometimes not depending on how bad the connection is.
Battery posts to clamps.
Said clamps to wire (especially were the clamps are clamped to the wire(s)).
Battery ground wire to ground.
Smaller red wire to starter.
Connection block to starter solenoid (the one by the fuse box).
\these are the most important ones (the ones that seem to cause most problems).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 10 Apr 2017 20:36

Sorted. Battery seemed ok but wasn't. All lights etc worked fine Left it on charge for 2 hours. Started. I think the old immobilizer is draining the battery

Thanks gents. I just want the car running right so i can use it now it's got an MOT.

I tore the exhaust back box off putting it in my garage so got it on my ramps and sorted it tonight.

So many jobs to tackle and i now realise I know so little,!!

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 11 Apr 2017 15:48

Typically what happens is one cell won't hold a charge (others will be soon to follow). When it is charged the battery will read 12V but when a load is put on it the suspect cell drops out and your voltage is less, that's why they test a battery under load not just put a voltmeter across the terminals. As the battery ages the lead plates sulfate out with pieces dropping off and landing in the well below. The less lead on the plate means less charge the battery can put out (cranking amps). When the well fills up, the cell will short out taking it out of the chemical process. The deeper the well at the bottom of the battery the longer it will take to do this. The more lead on the plates (the more cranking amps) the longer it takes for the lead compound to flake off to the point where there isn't much left to produce electricity. The better batteries have more lead and deeper wells.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 12 Apr 2017 20:15

I once had a Jaguar XJ-S which had an after-market immobiliser and alarm fitted. It had a remote key fob and everything! It was great until you left it for more than a couple of days, when it would drain the battery and give the symptoms you have described. From memory it would then go off at ear-splitting volume due to the voltage drop, thus alerting me and the neighbours to a fault that was caused by, er, itself.Binned.

My experience with after-market gadgets isn't great - I once bought a TR7 which had after-market cruise control fitted, which was fun on the post-purchase drive home. I wasn't expecting it and when I pulled over, having nearly run into the back of everything in front of me, I had to disconnect some weird cable arrangement to the carb throttle levers. Binned too.

I just wish someone had fitted an after-market anti-rust device to both of them... :)

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 13 Apr 2017 10:33

johnnyj wrote:My experience with after-market gadgets isn't great

johnnyj wrote:I just wish someone had fitted an after-market anti-rust device to both of them... :)

But you say after-market gadgets don't work so surely a after-market anti-rust device wouldn't actually stop the car rusting in fact it would probably make it rust quicker :?
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 14 Apr 2017 20:31

Went out to the car. Same again. Jump started it. Got it up on the ramps and found a stripy wire with a spade connector not connected to the starter. An earth? Anyway. Squeezed the connector and shoved it back on. It seems secure now. Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully that's the problem sorted.

skertonman
Scuttle Shaker

Postby skertonman » 14 Apr 2017 20:38

The black and white wire is the signal wire from the ignition switch which engages the starter solonoid.

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 14 Apr 2017 21:56

I think it looks pink and black? After 40 years i don't look the same either. So not sure on the colour

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 14 Apr 2017 21:57

Would that stop it starting?

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 15 Apr 2017 00:09

As i had said :roll:
stevie_a wrote:
If lights stay on and radio ok, small wire with spade connection at starter motor

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 15 Apr 2017 09:10

Stevie i had my tablet under the car reading your post as i was checking and fixing it!!! :-)

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 15 Apr 2017 10:31

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 15 Apr 2017 17:23

I had a similar case of intermittent non starting a few years ago and found that, although it looked OK externally the copper cable into the small spade connector had corroded to a dusty green. Remade the connection with a new spade and have not had the problem since.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC