Anonymous

Original engine bay pictures anyone ?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Re: Original engine bay pictures anyone ?

Postby tr7dan » 01 Mar 2017 08:58

Thanks Steve

question is : have you put an extra lump of coal on the fire these last couple of days, bah humbug, or did you just throw on an extra jumper, ha ha !

After several stalled attempts I think I've finally got a bit of momentum going to get this car back on the road so I'll no doubt be seeing you again soon

cheers

Dan

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 01 Mar 2017 20:03

Very neat, but I think the tube going to the air flap did not come over the top of the air filter box, but went underneath.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 01 Mar 2017 20:15

Yes it had a V8 for a very short time, John Gibson owned the car when i had my white DHC

I sold the white car and was going to buy a Lotus, I was on a night out with John and he said "my car is not for sale but

If you want to buy it i will sell it to you.

I wanted it back to standard as it only had 18000 miles, and i wanted a car i could drive without looking at my wallet to see how much fuel i could afford to put in . :D

So standard engine went back in and i then owned the car

This was the day i got it.

And now ( Billing last summer)

If it's not broke don't fix it.

REPLIC8
Wedgista

Postby REPLIC8 » 02 Mar 2017 09:22

There are a few cars with the pipe going around the front of the rocker cover, but I have several books and brochures showing original fitment as over the top of the rocker cover. This is the original pipe still fitted and they take up a shape and can't be re-routed easily or they split. So I'm 99% sure this is how it left the factory. :D

Andy
1981 Triton Green TR7 FHC (low mileage standard Solihull car)
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 FHC (awaiting restoration/upgrading)

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 02 Mar 2017 11:03

There are a few cars with the pipe going around the front of the rocker cover, but I have several books and brochures showing original fitment as over the top of the rocker cover. This is the original pipe still fitted and they take up a shape and can't be re-routed easily or they split. So I'm 99% sure this is how it left the factory. :D[/quote]I got my TR7 8V when it was 3 years old and the pipe NEVER went over the airbox. It came out of the back of the box and went forward and under the airbox to the flap connection. Here is a brochure picture, I have just found, to prove it:

REPLIC8
Wedgista

Postby REPLIC8 » 02 Mar 2017 17:09

Hi there,
Apologies, I think we've got our wires crossed, I thought you were talking about the big hot air tube from the exhaust. I see now you are actually talking about the small pipe from the back of the airbox. This is how mine was when I got it, but you are right the one in the brochure is under the airbox. I'll add that to the list of jobs to do when I get my car back out of storage. :D :D

Andy

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 02 Mar 2017 18:24

I guess even on the production line there were often small differences. The thermostat housing looks quite different on mine than it does on the "lusty power" pic. If I have the right tube in mind I had to replace mine as it split but originally I think it went over the top of the airbox. Just to be picky though Replic8 your positive battery terminal cover is missing. Possibly removed when the connection was made to power the fog light relay. I'm sure you're aware of this anyway. My accelerator cable was also originally black not yellow.
I do like to try to keep my car original but I'm a keen user of Supertrol, Waxoyl, Wurth cavity wax, Dinitrol et al so everything other than trim tends to get covered in this chemical mask! supercass

REPLIC8
Wedgista

Postby REPLIC8 » 02 Mar 2017 18:34

The extra wire on my battery is a permanent connection for my Ctek battery conditioner. I have got the cover, it's just not fitted. :-)

Andy

tr7dan
Rust Hunter

Postby tr7dan » 03 Mar 2017 08:00

Thanks for all the pictures - more than enough info for me here and some serious rivet counting going on :D , but tell me, did they really use a zip tie straight from the factory on the hot air tube ? I presume the above picture is from a Triumph sales brochure ?

Dan

sydney.wedgehead
Wedge Pilot

Postby sydney.wedgehead » 03 Mar 2017 11:33

stevie_a wrote:Yeah you are correct
It is because at one time my engine bay looked like this [/b]

I suspect there are very few owners that retro-converted a TR7 V8 to the Triumph Slant 4. Stevie_a, would you care to share why you went this path?

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 03 Mar 2017 11:51

tr7dan wrote:I presume the above picture is from a Triumph sales brochure ?
Correct.

sydney.wedgehead
Wedge Pilot

Postby sydney.wedgehead » 03 Mar 2017 12:11

Not seen a wedge engine bay like that in this hemisphere...

Mike, do you have a scan of the whole page?

V8 Surfer
Wedgling

Postby V8 Surfer » 03 Mar 2017 20:45

That Triton Green TR7 belonging to Replica 8 is Probably the best and original Fixedhead TR7 around today and as I usually have his cast offs maybe I might be lucky enough to see it parked in my garage one day............ Who am I kidding. he will never let it go.

Steve @ SandS
Wedge Pilot

Postby Steve @ SandS » 04 Mar 2017 09:21

V8 Surfer wrote:That Triton Green TR7 belonging to Replica 8 is Probably the best and original Fixedhead TR7 around today and as I usually have his cast offs maybe I might be lucky enough to see it parked in my garage one day............ Who am I kidding. he will never let it go.

And if I'm correct I usually get yours :D
Steve @ S&S Preparations
www.ss-preparations.co.uk

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 04 Mar 2017 12:48

sydney.wedgehead wrote:Not seen a wedge engine bay like that in this hemisphere...

Mike, do you have a scan of the whole page?
Sure do :D

Here is the full brochure, note that the main photographs were taken at the (then new) Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts at the University of East Anglia at Norwich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainsbury_Centre_for_Visual_Arts: