Anonymous

Shock Tower stiffeners

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
lgray001
Wedgling

Shock Tower stiffeners

Postby lgray001 » 25 Jan 2017 04:33

Has anyone used stiffener bars on the shock towers on a TR7?

I've seen three types; one goes from tower to tower, another forms a "V" from one tower to an assembly bear the hood latch, another forms a triangle; a combination of the cross bar and the "V" assembly.

I'm thinking about this, but the costs jump accordingly. This is not a racer, but a higher performance daily driver.

Your thoughts?

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Shock Tower stiffeners

Postby FI Spyder » 25 Jan 2017 15:22

The V or Triangle type prevents you from using the air plenum so you're sucking in engine compartment fumes, for a racer you can block it off but not so good for a driver. There are no reinforcing bars for an FI as I understand it. Others can mention what's available currently. Some that where made up in the past are apparently no longer available.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 25 Jan 2017 16:57

I have seen a plenum for the TR7 that routes air via tubing from a hole in the radiator blanking plate. I can't see that you would have the same airflow as you would with the factory plenum. This allows you to fit the triangulated brace. Strut braces that you would typically use for road use are not afaik readily available for the TR7. I have a White line strut brace, quite a delicate looking piece of equipment but actually stronger than it may first appear. Afaik they are no longer listed. I believe it does make a difference and more noticeably so in the convertible I would guess. supercass

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 22 Mar 2017 23:32

It's a bit hard to describe but I have made myself a metal lopsided pyramid with a round tube welded onto it at the peak that fits over the air intake on the firewall, I then ran a 3 1/2" flexy duct from my contraption past the right hand side of the radiator so now I get a cool clean air feed into the car.

By doing this I've been able to junk the stock fresh air plenum which gives me the clearance I need to convert it to fuel injection.

Perhaps a few pics would help, I'll take some and post them if anyone's interested, I can also post a picture of the CAD template (Cardboard Assisted Design) with measurements if anyone else wants to copy it.
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...

sydney.wedgehead
Wedge Pilot

Postby sydney.wedgehead » 23 Mar 2017 02:47

Some pictures would be great. Love seeing CAD (either Cardboard or Computer Assisted Design).

For those of you not following the CAD work being done by Bad Obsession Motorsport on Project Binky I strongly recommend that you have a look: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3e313-GLTO

It would be good if the wedge community could get Whiteline to re-offer the braces they used to sell as they were good.

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 23 Mar 2017 19:31

With some basic tools and a welder they are easy to fabricate.The finish is then up to your own taste/pocket.Steve.

Stag76
Swagester

Postby Stag76 » 23 Mar 2017 19:39

I made one from hollow bar for my previous TR7

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 23 Mar 2017 20:04

Tamas Petrunin wrote:It's a bit hard to describe ...

Something like this ...

Necessary because I fitted Weber carburettors
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 23 Mar 2017 20:17

lgray001 wrote: ... Your thoughts?

I'd keep it simple, so just connect the strut towers with a brace.
They are not rocket science to fabricate and will transform the handling, especially on a FHC.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 23 Mar 2017 21:15

Ok here it is fastened onto the air intake.

This is the route my hose takes.

This is the contraption I made, I need to find the Cardboard template I made so I'll post that in a couple of days (fingers crossed)

Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...